Time to Vote!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2008 - 07:55 PM

It is that time of year. We all must choose our favorite kind of little swimmy thingies.

Which are your favorites?

Ancient Fishes

Catfishes

Minnows and Suckers

Pikes an Mudminnows

Killifishes, Livebearers, and Pupfishes

Sunfishes and Basses

Darters and Perches

Also, what is your favorite individual species?

What species is on your wish list/life list?

Vote early, Vote often!

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

Yeah, I like those.

#3 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2008 - 08:05 PM

Yeah, I like those.

:lol:

#4 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:56 PM

Big surprise here, my favorite fishes are the darters. My favorite individual species are the Rainbow Darters (Etheostoma caeruleum) with the Blackside Darter (Percina maculata) a very close second.

#5 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:03 PM

Almost forgot. Slenderhead Darters (Percina phoxocephala) are on my wish list. They look much better than the plate in The Freshwater Fishes of North America North of Mexico (Page and Burr, 1991) might suggest.

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters
American Native Fish for
your aquarium...and more!
Web: http://www.btdarters.com
Phone: (262) 268-7489

#6 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:29 PM

Sunfishes followed by pikes. Orangespotted and mud sunfish and redfin or grass pickerel are high up on my wishlist.

#7 Guest_Sombunya_*

Guest_Sombunya_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:50 PM

You scared me. I thought you were going political on us.

My favorites are the critters that I keep in my tanks, naturally.

#8 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:22 AM

I think I like the Sticklebacks, Killis, Madtoms and Darters most.
The Darters have such variety, there is always a new creek to sample, and something new to "ketch", which keeps my interest high.

Overall, I think like the Rainbow Darters the most.

My wish list would probably include Arrow Darters or Cave Fish which are going to have to remain a wish I'm afraid.

#9 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:06 PM

Well, my favorite would have to be darters and minnows.

My favorite darter that I have is hard to say. It may be my Striped Darter. He's not really active, but really interesting to look at. I also like my male Redline, though he's a bit mean.

My wish list for minnows would have to include a Tricolor Shiner, firey black shiner, and the scarlet shiner

For the darters it would include the Candy Darter, Christmas Darter, Tangerine Darter, and the Gilt Darter.........and don't forget about the Speckled Darter

among others :biggrin:

(for the record, have not investigated to see if any of these are protected fish, and this is just a wish list and I'm not stating that I plan to collect any of these fish, if in fact they are protected by state or federal laws. This wish list does not represent the views, opinions, code of ethics stated by the NANFA organization and/or any of it's members.)

Edited by jblaylock, 05 November 2008 - 12:09 PM.

#10 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:34 PM

(for the record, have not investigated to see if any of these are protected fish, and this is just a wish list and I'm not stating that I plan to collect any of these fish, if in fact they are protected by state or federal laws. This wish list does not represent the views, opinions, code of ethics stated by the NANFA organization and/or any of it's members.)

Awesome disclaimer! :biggrin:

#11 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 02:54 PM

Awesome disclaimer! :biggrin:

I'm Josh Blaylock, and I approved this forum :tongue:

#12 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 05:47 PM

Awsome!

Great googley-moogley! I forgot that my ultimate wish list has to include either Bluehead, or Bluenose Shiners!

#13 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:11 PM

Great! Now pony up $20 and join NANFA!

#14 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:33 PM

Great! Now pony up $20 and join NANFA!

I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member! :fishy:

#15 Guest_Runan_*

Guest_Runan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 07:49 PM

I can't decide between minnows or darters, I love them both. My rainbow shiners and rainbow darter are some of my favorite fish (that I own).

My wishlist...is long, heh. Bluenose shiners, bluehead shiners, sailfin shiners, flagfin shiners, taillight shiners, candy darters, speckled darters, blueside darters, banded darters, watercress darters...I could go on and on and on.

#16 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:49 PM

My wish list would probably include Arrow Darters or Cave Fish which are going to have to remain a wish I'm afraid.

It seems as though a majority of everyones "wish list" that have spoken so far will have to remain a wish, or look but don't keep.

Thankfully I've been able to see most of the previously mentioned speices but I'd like to see any saddled darter let alone an osburni.

#17 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

Almost forgot. Slenderhead Darters (Percina phoxocephala) are on my wish list. They look much better than the plate in The Freshwater Fishes of North America North of Mexico (Page and Burr, 1991) might suggest.

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters
American Native Fish for
your aquarium...and more!
Web: http://www.btdarters.com
Phone: (262) 268-7489

I caught a couple of Slenderheads this year. I hadn't seen one for at least three years prior. I had forgotten where/how to catch them!

#18 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:11 AM

I did not realize there were so many fish. I thought only sunfish were Natives!! :rolleyes:

#19 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 November 2008 - 05:39 PM

I'd really like to see some Pteronotropis in full breeding colors. Ooh, and mud sunfish! I guess I'm going to have to get closer to the coast one of these days.

#20 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:34 PM

Livebearers and Killifish

They're not as skittish (how's that for a colloquilism) as many minnows and dace. Mine have learned to associate me with food.

Harry Knaub

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users