Time to Vote!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Runan_*

Guest_Runan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2008 - 01:04 AM

Heh, my shiners and darter aren't skittish at all...especially if I have food. My darter actually bites the end of the turkey baster I use to squirt bloodworms down to him, and he'll chase it around if I move it. And the shiners try to nibble on my arm when I stick it in the tank.

I would *love* some bluefin killifish, though...

#22 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2008 - 08:58 AM

Heh, my shiners and darter aren't skittish at all...especially if I have food. My darter actually bites the end of the turkey baster I use to squirt bloodworms down to him, and he'll chase it around if I move it. And the shiners try to nibble on my arm when I stick it in the tank.

I would *love* some bluefin killifish, though...

My darters and shiners attack my turkey baster and the shiners pounce on my arm as well....strange fishys

I just bought two bluefin's at a LFS for 25 cents yesterday....check the ghost shrimp tank.

#23 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2008 - 06:44 PM

Favorites - Sunfish (Lepomis) and the Killifish/Topminnows are my 2 favorites. I have only kept two sunnies, so I must add a wish list as well. With a larger tank I would love to have some spotted sunfish (L. punctatus) if I could every find any.
jblaylock, I actually picked up another bluefin and seminole killie and a dwarf crayfish in the ghost shrimp tank today at my LFS when I was getting ferts. So total that makes 4 bluefins, 2 seminoles and 1 dwarf cray in only two trips to the LFS. Total cost: ~ $1.89 :biggrin: Woohoo

#24 Guest_Bwood_*

Guest_Bwood_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:30 AM

sunfishes and perch :biggrin:

#25 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:18 PM

1st-Family Centrarchidae (Sunfishes)

LMP Northern longear
LC Green

Wish list fish.

Family Fundulidae (Topminnows)
FC Northern studfish

Edited by CATfishTONY, 10 November 2008 - 05:33 PM.

#26 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:40 PM

1st-Family Centrarchidae (Sunfishes)

LMP Northern longear
LC Green

Wish list fish.

Family Fundulidae (Topminnows)
FC Northern studfish

Hey, do you know that you are right in the middle of an invasive population of Northern Studfish?
I could point you in the right direction if you'd like.
-Thom

#27 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2008 - 06:19 PM

Hey, do you know that you are right in the middle of an invasive population of Northern Studfish?
I could point you in the right direction if you'd like.
-Thom

Please do.

#28 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:48 PM

Please do.

According to Peterson's Freshwater Fishes: They can be found in margins, pools and backwaters of creeks and small to medium rivers. More particularly, I've found them along the very edge of the Little Miami as well as (and more likely) its tributaries between Xenia, and Ceasars Creek. Look for sand or gravel bottom pools along the edge that are no more than 1"-3" deep. These pools are usually broad and flat, and the water almost comes to a standstill. You will see surface disturbance as you approach. Look for a fish just at the surface bent in a characteristic "S" shape, as if coiled to shoot away. If you miss come back in a few minutes, as they always return to the same area. I've had good luck approaching these areas from the shore, but you can also stay out about 3 to 4 feet from the edge and approach. They seem to get confused at this distance as to whether to make a run for deeper water, or hide against the shore. If you get just he right distance, they will stay put. There is also a native population of them 1 1/2 hrs. away from Cincinnati in Columbus Indiana in tributaries of the East Fork of the White River (in particular Haw Creek). I have also caught them in The Red River at the Red River Gorge in Kentucky. Hope this helps.
-Thom

Has anyone else had a different experience with catching these?
Maybe this is a good opportunity to share some particular collecting techniques for other fish as well.
For instance, I've noticed when trying to kick net for Madtoms, you must "kick deeper" and disturb more than just surface rocks than you do for Darters. Darters can be kicked more shallow, it seems.
Another example: If you place your net downstream and against a washed out bank with overhanging roots, then kick under the bank toward the net, you are almost guaranteed to net some kind of Sunfish.
How does everyone "outsmart" other species?

Edited by truf, 10 November 2008 - 09:49 PM.

#29 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:58 PM

I like to use the longest legal seine available, move any large sticks from the pool.

Poke the bottom of one brail into the bottom leaning it onto the bank at the downstream end of a pool or section to sample.

I secure this pole with some nice hefty rocks (keep meaning to make some steel brail holders for this, kinda like hooked tent stakes)

Starting at that same spot I take the other pole and slowly work into the water crossing the flow of the pool or section I want to sample.

Then when the net is extended across the flow work upstream as far as possible then quickly stretch back to the bank as far from the original starting point as you can.

Make sure you keep the net down to the bottom especially as you near and breach the bank.

Sometimes it is necessary to cover a smaller section due to obstacles.

This also works well for those fast shiners as well as sunfish, chubs and suckers.

This can work so well you get too many fish to id quickly so its good to have a cooler with water and small dip net ready to transfer fish to water where they can be more leisurely looked through rather the leaving a bunch of fish drying in the sun or left in the stream to long to sneak away before making your selections.

#30 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:17 PM

very good tips thanks to all for the help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users