It seems to be a bluefin

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fmontange_*

Guest_fmontange_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2008 - 03:59 PM

Hi everybody, i'm a french guy who need some help in order to clearly identify this killifish.

CIMG9522__800x600_.JPG

CIMG9526__800x600_.JPG

It seems to be a Lucania goodei but the anal fin isn't blue at all but orange.

Several questions :

Is it truly a bluefin killifish????
could it be a sexual dimorphism???? a subspecie??? or a color-location link?????

Its history : One day, I discovered it in a tank where i display the plants for sailing.
The plants are grown in Germany.... how could it be possible to have eggs from a north american killifish in a german plant????

Thanks for help.

Florent

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:38 PM

Genau, the fish is a bluefin. There are varieties who are more or less yellow, orange or red in the caudal. As to the fish's origin... maybe the plants were imported from North America? The plant grower kept bluefins in with plants?

#3 Guest_fmontange_*

Guest_fmontange_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:17 PM

Genau, the fish is a bluefin. There are varieties who are more or less yellow, orange or red in the caudal.

thanks for information.

As to the fish's origin... maybe the plants were imported from North America?

It could be possible... eggs on plants ... and plants in sailor tank

The plant grower kept bluefins in with plants?

I don't think so.... most of these plants are grown outside of water except some Ceratophyllum spp. or Egeria spp. I'll ask to them if they have already seen these fishes.. and if they import plants from North america.

Nevertheless, this killi is a beautiful fish and so peaceful.....maybe i'll try to buy some eggs in Aquabid in order to stock my personal 66 gallons.

See you.
Florent

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:33 PM

He looks just like my bluefins, which are from a feeder shrimp farm in Florida. You may have better luck getting the adult fish than eggs; to my knowledge their eggs do not have a dry dormant stage.

#5 Guest_fmontange_*

Guest_fmontange_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:59 PM

You may have better luck getting the adult fish than eggs; to my knowledge their eggs do not have a dry dormant stage.

oh??? if this information is real, so the happening of this fish in my plant tank is quite crazy because the plants are sent in box without any water...and they travel during 2 days. It seems to be impossible.....
I thought there was a dry stage????

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:21 PM

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will reply, but I believe these killifish simply lay eggs in submerged plant masses, and the eggs hatch without a dry phase. Like most North American killifishes, they are associated with relatively permanent waters (streams, in this case) and are not adapted to temporary pools as many tropical killies are.

However, if the plants were kept moist enough to survive their journey, that was probably enough moisture for the fish eggs as well.

#7 Guest_brian1973_*

Guest_brian1973_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 01:37 PM

However, if the plants were kept moist enough to survive their journey, that was probably enough moisture for the fish eggs as well.

That was my thought as well.

#8 Guest_fmontange_*

Guest_fmontange_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2008 - 02:02 PM

they are associated with relatively permanent waters (streams, in this case) and are not adapted to temporary pools as many tropical killies are.

okay.... i understand now. How many years can they live in apropriate conditions..... (not too warm water)??? i saw on internet that their life expectancy is quite 2 years.

yeah it can be possible..... one more question, do they grow fast???? because i saw for the first time the fish and it was almost 1 cm long.

#9 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:05 PM

I think they can grow fairly fast and they get about 2-2 1/2 inches long (5-7 cm).

#10 Guest_fmontange_*

Guest_fmontange_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2008 - 01:17 PM

Tks Fishyz !!!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users