Pteronotropis signipinnis temperature tolerance

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DIfishhead_*

Guest_DIfishhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:18 PM

Can Flagfins be successfully maintained in 85deg water temperature? Could someone please point me to published temperature range for this species (and or hypselopterus)?
Thanks!

#2 Guest_DIfishhead_*

Guest_DIfishhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:13 PM

Perhaps a different angle. What temperatures have you maintained Pteronotropids? I have some in a tank at 74 deg, but wonder if they can tolerate higher temps.

#3 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:30 AM

I think 74 is reasonable for flagfins, but 85 would be way too warm for them over an extended period of time.

#4 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:47 AM

74 is perfect.
73-74 is the temp at which they spawn, in fact.

85 will wipe them out in only a few short months, and they'll look terrible as well with poor deportment and muted colors.
P. hypselopterus from southern florida can hack such temps for awhile, but Flagfins are only panhandle fish. I've found that they almost always get various nasty infections at temps in the mid 80's, being unable to resist them while the bacteria/fungus are at their peak.

My local Flagfins get water temps down in the high 50's in the dead of winter and mid 70's in summer. Bear in mind that they prefer small, spring-fed streams that don't vary too much in temperature through the year, never freezing and never getting warm.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:48 PM

Not exactly your question, but my P. stonei do very well at room temperature... growing noticeably in a small tank with no competition for food (just some swamp darters on the botton of the tank). The water they come out of is never in the 80s... even when the weather down here is very hot the water is flowing through swampy areas and is much cooler.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_DIfishhead_*

Guest_DIfishhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:13 PM

Thanks for the info and input, folks. I'm mainly looking for such educated comments as these to justify getting a chiller for the tank. Your continued opinions are much appreciated!
Happy holidays!!

Edited by DIfishhead, 08 December 2008 - 06:16 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users