Water Chemistry

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_KansasNative_*

Guest_KansasNative_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2008 - 11:35 AM

Is the water chemistry a critcal component for the maintaining and breeding of the sun fishes ?
Does the PH, GH, KH and trace elements have to be exact as from their source water ?

What would be the parameters on each of these (KG, GH ect) required ?

Thanks in advance - Craig

#2 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:39 PM

In general, your P.h levels should basically be similiar to their original habitat, but sunfishes are hardy characters and will take and even thrive on almost anything you throw at them, so basic tap water is more than alright. For example, I saw a bunch of pumpkinseeds living in a tiny ditch runoff creek (or 'crick' :mrgreen: ) that was frozen in winter and about 90 degrees Fahrenheit in summer and constantly filled with junk (Bottles, noxious weeds, mosquitoes, large and irate hornets, an angry mother raccoon, this list goes on.) Also, I've seen bluegills in filled in quarries that must be at least 7.9 or 8.0. Hope this helps, Craig.

#3 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2009 - 06:08 PM

I have kept 23 species (several strains of some of those) of sunfish and have never paid much attention to water chemistry. I have used well water at 3 locations and city water in 2 different cities with no problems. I do not think you need to pay close attention to the water chemistry to keep sunfish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users