breeding redbreast in tanks?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:24 PM

Anyone ever bred redbreasted sunfish in tanks? We are getting ready to try.

#2 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

I know Ray W. (choupique) has done so and he told me they have very large eggs and resulting fry are also quite large and relatively easy to care for. He compared them to green sunfish as far as ease of raising indoors. I had a male guarding a nest last winter but at the time I was not interested in raising the young and left the other fish in the tank eat them. Then last summer my male disappeared from my breeding pond and I was unable to get another one for my three females to spawn with over the summer. Since then I have replaced him, actually with a captive raised male from Ray. He would be the person to contact for more detail, he has done more in tank breeding of sunfish than I have.

#3 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:49 AM

I have been gone a long time. Brian described it well. They were similar to green sunfish as for spawning in aquariums. They will start at a small size, small relativly speaking, lots of nice sized eggs (see them easy) and good sized fry that can take to bbs soon after swim up, if not at swim up. The fry grew well and took to prepared foods crushed into powder at a small size like green sunfish, which makes them into bigger fish faster.

The only difference, they might be a bit less nasty that greens. But I am sure personalities vary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users