Missing Orangespotteds

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2009 - 08:52 PM

I got some Orangespotted Sunfish, Lepomis humilis, late last summer because I wanted to work with a new species of sunfish as I try to get another generation of Bluenose Shiners, Pteronotropis welaka. In the fall, while working to dig in another pond, the Orangespots moved into two above ground plastic ponds, 2 feet deep each, 150 and 300 gallons.

October came to Detroit and I left the Orangespots outside. Figured that the fish could get some wintering before I brought the fish inside. Besides, I didn't have a large empty indoor tank. I could have used a garbage can, but with so little bottom space, the Orangespot males would have beat each other up.

Then came November's cold spell. I really was expecting a thaw so I could get the fish out. It occured to me yesterday that these above the ground tubs might freeze solid. I drilled test holes and still found water under 8 inches of ice. More drilling to add airstones for the night.

Next day:
Posted Image

Well,
My fish are missing. I cut the ice, worked a net, and even drained the water. No Orangespots found, dead or alive. Maybe the bodies are hidden in the blocks of ice?

Posted Image

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:48 PM

Phil,

I had a large circular cattle trough that was sunk into the ground years ago and had a similar vanishing fish experience. It had about 6-8" of leaf litter in various stages so I threw in a dozen central mudminnows that were collected about this time of year. It had not frozen over yet or thawed out so in they went. I occassionally chopped ice when it got thick but eventually I had to break out the chain saw. I found none in the ice and come the thaw I scopped out all the leaf litter with a dipnet. Still a good 12" of water in the trough during the dead of winter and with all that material I figured plenty of food. Not like mudminnows are stingy so I wondered where they went. If they died, you would think the cold water would slow down the decomposition and leave something behind. Hope you find something (alive).

#3 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

Opened the other pond today. Caught 3 Orangespotted (3 alive, 0 dead, 2 missing.)

Posted Image

Edited by PhilipKukulski, 03 January 2009 - 02:44 PM.

#4 Guest_kevinb_*

Guest_kevinb_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2009 - 03:31 PM

Glad to hear you found the 3...now the 2 missing hmmmnn,no idea what thats about.
Are their any local cats or raccoons visiting? Hope they turn up ok

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 January 2009 - 12:51 PM

I know sunfish aren't known for their jumping like some other fish, but I would bet that you lost them a long time ago when one jumped out while being chased by another. I have personally experienced this with fish jumping and ending up on the floor (or in one very lucky case, landing in the sump) with everything from topminnow to bullheads, so getting three out alive is a great result.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

I know sunfish aren't known for their jumping like some other fish, but I would bet that you lost them a long time ago when one jumped out while being chased by another. I have personally experienced this with fish jumping and ending up on the floor (or in one very lucky case, landing in the sump) with everything from topminnow to bullheads, so getting three out alive is a great result.

The second pond had a cover made of 1/2 inch square wire mesh.

#7 Guest_sunnyman97_*

Guest_sunnyman97_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:59 PM

do you think they could have got stuck in the ice?

#8 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 08:33 AM

I was expecting comments on two points.

First,
Matt brought up chainsaws, which was my fish access tool. This was the first time I used a chainsaw with a dip net.

Second,
I thought I would get comments on the first picture.

#9 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

I was expecting comments on two points.

First,
Matt brought up chainsaws, which was my fish access tool. This was the first time I used a chainsaw with a dip net.

Second,

View of brown ice volcanoes look like parts of the moon Europa?

#10 Guest_BenjaminS_*

Guest_BenjaminS_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:14 AM

Yeah I wasn't sure what those ice 'volcanoes' were so I didn't post anything. Didn't want to embarass anyone :tongue: .

#11 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:47 PM

With this current thaw, I took the opportunity to look again.

The ice blocks cut from my ponds have melted, and no dead (and previously frozen in the blocks of ice) Orangespotted Sunfish were found.

#12 Guest_Doug_Dame_*

Guest_Doug_Dame_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:27 AM

Alright, I'll bite.

In that first picture.....

what are those pink and green things on the ice that may or may not have little "belts" on them .... failed experiments at tofu xmas tree ornaments that you just tossed out the window in dismay ?

Inquiring Minds Want To Know.

d.d.

#13 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:57 AM

Alright, I'll bite.

In that first picture.....

what are those pink and green things on the ice that may or may not have little "belts" on them .... failed experiments at tofu xmas tree ornaments that you just tossed out the window in dismay ?

Inquiring Minds Want To Know.

d.d.

Those are blocks made of building construction foam insulation, used as floats for yarn mops.

#14 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:52 PM

Those are blocks made of building construction foam insulation, used as floats for yarn mops.

Phil,

Did you possibly have any herons or Kingfishers visiting the pond before ice up?

#15 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:57 AM

Phil,

Did you possibly have any herons or Kingfishers visiting the pond before ice up?

Possible,
but I have never, in 4 years, seen any ducks or fishing birds at my pond.

#16 Guest_PhilipKukulski_*

Guest_PhilipKukulski_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2009 - 03:30 PM

I was stealing rainwater from my pond today for my Leptolucania Ommata
and I found 3 of the missing Orangespotted, dead.

The fish must have been in the 280 pound block of ice that I did not remove from the pond or check.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users