Planning a 10 gallon setup

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:01 PM

I am planning a 10 gallon tank that I will be setting up either tonight or tomorrow to start cycling and I want to know some thoughts on natives that I can purchase that might work well in this tank. This tank is going to be planted with quite a few plants. I will be using topsoil with a layer of pea gravel on top as the substrate. After looking at the different commercial vendors on the site I think I will be getting some pygmy sunfish from Zimmerman's but I am curious about what other natives would do well with them in this tank that I can order.

I don't plan on doing any collecting for this tank, but I do have a 75 gallon tank that I plan on doing some collecting locally for later this year.

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:19 PM

I've never kept anything else with pygmy sunfish so I'm not sure what will be compatible. I'd imagine least killifish, Heterandria formosa, would work well. In the past I would have said bluefin killifish, Lucania goodei, but mine are very territorial so I wouldn't advise them. The banded pygmy sunfish would probably pick off the young of both so don't mix them if your goal is to produce offspring.

#3 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

I'm not really too worried about having them spawn but if they did that would be cool too. I was also thinking about getting some darters as well but I'm not really sure yet.

#4 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

alter40,

Some fish that I think might do well with pygmy sunfish would be Blackstripe Topminnows (Fundulus notatus). They only get to about 3 inches and will probably leave young pygmy sunfish alone if you're going to try to breed them. I do have to agree with drewish that Least Killifish would also work well. I sell Blackstripe Topminnows if you're interested in getting some. They're available at my website: http://www.btdarters.com.

Brian

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

I've never kept anything else with pygmy sunfish so I'm not sure what will be compatible. I'd imagine least killifish, Heterandria formosa, would work well. In the past I would have said bluefin killifish, Lucania goodei, but mine are very territorial so I wouldn't advise them. The banded pygmy sunfish would probably pick off the young of both so don't mix them if your goal is to produce offspring.

Agree, but would also add leptolucania ommata (pygmy killifish)... really a great fish and I kept them successfully with some Okefenokee pygmy sunfish once before...

Maybe you should have a tank with all fish that are "pygmy"... what would that include?

Ellasoma - pygmy sunfish
L. ommata - pygmy killifish
????
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:09 PM

Brian I was also looking at the high colored rainbow darters that you have for sale as well. I am just worried that they will get too large for a 10 gallon tank. Do you think a couple of them would be alright with the pygmy sunfish?

#7 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:13 PM

Maybe you should have a tank with all fish that are "pygmy"... what would that include?

Ellasoma - pygmy sunfish
L. ommata - pygmy killifish
????

That could work as well. I will just call it my pygmy tank haha.
Where can i get pygmy killifish?

#8 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

I have my banded pygmies with blackstripe topminnows, bluefin killies, lesser sirens, and a slough darter; it's a fairly large tank, though. I have kept them in a ten gallon with ghost shrimp.

#9 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

That could work as well. I will just call it my pygmy tank haha.
Where can i get pygmy killifish?

Aquaculturestore.com

Rainbow darters and pygmy sunfish don't really mix as their habitats are too different.

Mike, would a large banded pygmy sunfish be able to eat a smallish L ommata?

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 January 2009 - 05:13 PM

Aquaculturestore.com

Rainbow darters and pygmy sunfish don't really mix as their habitats are too different.

Mike, would a large banded pygmy sunfish be able to eat a smallish L ommata?

Maybe, I didn't really mix the L. ommata with Bandeds... I had Okefenokees... but I would think that it woud be the rare case...

I will agree as mentioned in other threads, that you will likely not get any L.ommata fry to survive... but other than that, they should be OK.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#11 Guest_brian1973_*

Guest_brian1973_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

Mine are in a 10G with ghost shrimp..oh and one small convict that was a feeder that avoided being eaten..now I may have to tear down the darn tank to get it out before it gets big enough to cause a problem.

#12 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2009 - 11:49 PM

I think I will probably be going with 3 or 4 pygmy sunfish and a few of the blackstripe topminnows.

I got the soil and gravel today and will be setting it up to cycle tomorrow. I also plan on going to a few stores to look for some native plants tomorrow so I can start getting it all planted.

#13 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:05 PM

If you are using real soil that isn't sterilized, then you don't have to let the tank cycle. The bacteria will already be in there.

#14 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:32 PM

If you are using real soil that isn't sterilized, then you don't have to let the tank cycle. The bacteria will already be in there.

All the bag says is top soil so I don't think that it is sterilized. Seems like I will be able to get fish next week then since I won't have to cycle like normal.

#15 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

All the bag says is top soil so I don't think that it is sterilized. Seems like I will be able to get fish next week then since I won't have to cycle like normal.

Sounds like you will be all set.

#16 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:04 PM

Brian I was also looking at the high colored rainbow darters that you have for sale as well. I am just worried that they will get too large for a 10 gallon tank. Do you think a couple of them would be alright with the pygmy sunfish?

alter40,

A pair of Rainbow Darters will work with the pygmy sunfish in a 10-gallon tank. Just be sure that there is good aeration/water movement. Be aware that if you're going to try to breed the pygmy sunfish, the darters will eat the eggs/fry. If you're not going to breed them, don't worry about it. If you want to get an order started, please email me at the address in my signature line. Thanks!

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters
American Native Fish for
your aquarium...and more!
Web: http://www.btdarters.com
Email: bt@btdarters.com
Phone: (262) 268-7489

#17 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 07:47 PM

Swamp darters would be the right size, share the same type of habitat and eat the same foods. A half dozen would fit in a ten gallon with plenty of room above for the pygmy sunfish.

Rainwater killies are small and [mostly] peaceful as well as colorful in a modest way. They are found more in salty or brackish habitat but acclimate perfectly to moderately hard freshwater. In a thickly planted tank they would spawn like crazy year round providing the pymies with eggs and fry to supplement their diet.

#18 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:10 PM

Thanks for all the info. The tank is all filled up now and I think I will be going with a pair of the Rainbow Darters and probably 3 Pygmy Sunfish. I will be placing orders so I will have some fish next week I think.

#19 Guest_brian1973_*

Guest_brian1973_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:40 PM

does this apply to store bought bagged soil as well?? I know my 90G seems to have good water parameters but I wasnt sure if bagged soil would have bacteria in it.

#20 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:51 PM

Sounds like you will be all set.

I'm thinking your answer is here Brian... Don't be so lazy and read it all haha :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users