Planning a 10 gallon setup

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_brian1973_*

Guest_brian1973_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2009 - 09:55 PM

I'm thinking your answer is here Brian... Don't be so lazy and read it all haha :rolleyes:

LOL...thanks eric but I did read it all..just wondering how or if aquatic bacteria are going to live in garden soil ;)

#22 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:10 AM

Well I setup my tank with a layer of soil on the bottom of the tank with a layer of pea gravel on top of it, but now my water is all brown. I thought that it would clear up on its own after a day or two but it has been setup a couple of nights now and it is no clearer. Should I do a water change or just give it some more time? Has anybody else using soil and pea gravel had this same issue?

Thank you for any help!

#23 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:12 AM

Definitely do a big water change, and if you have a filter running, stuff some polyester batting in it. Don't worry, this is normal.

#24 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:50 AM

Thanks for the quick response. I did about a 90% water change tonight so I will give it a few days and see what happens and hopefully be able to get fish in the next couple weeks.

#25 Guest_brian1973_*

Guest_brian1973_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:47 PM

When you do your what change try to add it very slowly or use a decoration to pour water over to deflect it from hitting the gravel full force or you will have the same problem every time you change it I think.

#26 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:16 PM

Well I setup my tank with a layer of soil on the bottom of the tank with a layer of pea gravel on top of it, but now my water is all brown. I thought that it would clear up on its own after a day or two but it has been setup a couple of nights now and it is no clearer. Should I do a water change or just give it some more time? Has anybody else using soil and pea gravel had this same issue?

Thank you for any help!

Do you have your plants in yet... they need to be in there as soon as possible (really I usually put mine in before the water). Not sure why, exactly, but in my expereince, tanks with plants seem to clear up faster.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#27 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:56 PM

I have been adding the water slowly and have some rocks in there as well that I pour the water on when I add it so it doesn't disturb the soil.

I haven't added any plants yet but will be in a couple days.

#28 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

Out of curiosity, did you wash the gravel before you added it? If not, there may be a LOT of clay particles stuck to it, depending on where it originally came from. If the filter isn't clearing it up, I would add a water clarifyer before adding fish. It will help the tiny pieces stick together so the filter can catch them. Only problem is that it gums up fish gills.

#29 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:53 PM

I did wash the gravel before adding it but I do have some stuff to clear the water so I will try that tonight.

#30 Guest_boringname_*

Guest_boringname_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

LOL...thanks eric but I did read it all..just wondering how or if aquatic bacteria are going to live in garden soil ;)

I'm not convinced it is bacteria that break down ammonia and nitrites, more and more the evidence points to archaea in both the soil and in salt and freshwater. But to your comment, think it through, if the nitrifying one celled creatures, whichever they may be, can only live in water then how would they get into your tank in the first place? From tap water? Would not the chlorination have killed them first?

#31 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:27 PM

I'm not convinced it is bacteria that break down ammonia and nitrites, more and more the evidence points to archaea in both the soil and in salt and freshwater. But to your comment, think it through, if the nitrifying one celled creatures, whichever they may be, can only live in water then how would they get into your tank in the first place? From tap water? Would not the chlorination have killed them first?

Crykee! (or however you spell it)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users