How Can I Remove Golden Shiners from my Tank?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:35 PM

pretty soon i'm going to have to remove about 5 golden shiners from my tank because i have too many, and i need to make some room for a few new fish.

i've tried already to catch these things with a net and they're too quick!

whats the best way to get them out of the tank?

#2 Guest_benmor78_*

Guest_benmor78_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2009 - 11:56 PM

pretty soon i'm going to have to remove about 5 golden shiners from my tank because i have too many, and i need to make some room for a few new fish.

i've tried already to catch these things with a net and they're too quick!

whats the best way to get them out of the tank?

1. Use a much larger net.
2. Use a trap. You can make a trap with a soda bottle.

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:03 AM

Wait until they are sleeping and then catch them. I use a couple of big nets at the same time. It basically doubles your chances.

Are you feeding them to something or placing into another tank?

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2009 - 08:45 AM

Another trick is using a dark and a light net at same time. Place both in tank and begin to crowd shiners with light net towards dark net. Do not move dark net other than to keep bag open. They will come to see white net as threat and dark net as refuge. Also try to leave dark net in tank for extended periods (hours) before begining process.

Could use really small fish hooks and angle them out.

#5 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2009 - 11:50 AM

i am giving these shiners to my friend so he can feed them to his bass.

i do need a bigger net, mine is like the smallest size they come. using two nets sounds like a good idea also.

i could angle them out with some size 20 hooks (i've done this in the creek before), but if i do that i'm more likely to catch the larger ones, which are the ones i want to keep in my tank.

i'll give it a try.

does it help to do this when the water level is down (like after a water change) so they dont have as much room to swim?

#6 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:06 PM

it really helps if the water level is down, even take out the cover and your can catch them or corner them very easily :cool2:

#7 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2009 - 03:50 PM

it really helps if the water level is down, even take out the cover and your can catch them or corner them very easily :cool2:

this is what i did and i wouldn't call it very easy, i wouldn't even calll it easy, but i got 'em out.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users