What Can I Feed Chubsuckers?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:06 PM

i've got two creek chubsuckers and i have not seen them eat anything i've put in the tank. i saw them briefly nibble on some filamentous algae thats growing on a tree root, but there is hardly any algae at all in the tank. just about 4 or 5 little 1" strands of it.

is there anything i can feed to them that they'll eat?

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2009 - 09:14 PM

Mine eats ordinary flake food and frozen bloodworms. I've yet to keep a fish that would turn down bloodworms.

#3 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 January 2009 - 10:19 PM

Mine eats ordinary flake food and frozen bloodworms. I've yet to keep a fish that would turn down bloodworms.

i've noticed nearly everybody reccomends frozen bloodworms for nearly everthing.

what kind of blood worms are these and where are you getting them?

i'm only familar with 2 kinds of bloodworms, and those are the big 9"ers that you buy for 9.99 a dozen for saltwater fishing bait (the kind that bite you), and freeze dried blood worms that are made by Tetra and you can buy at walmart. my fish don't like the freeze dried kind too much.

also, when they eat flake food, are they eating it off the bottom or top? i'm guessing bottom but idk.

but, as far as my chubsuckers go...
as i'm typing this, i looked over and i saw both of my chubsuckers grazing on the top of my crawfish cave (a big flat rock). there is no visible algae on it, but i guess there is something there...

Edited by dsaavedra, 10 January 2009 - 10:19 PM.

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2009 - 12:09 AM

I'm talking about chironomid midge larvae, not the big polychaete worms. The freeze-dried bloodworms are this type, but I find most fish respond more to the frozen ones- they're smelly and drip lots of juice, which really gets the fish going. Most petstores that I've been to carry frozen bloodworms, including the chain places like Petsmart and Petco. Hikari and San Francisco Bay are the two brands I usually see; there's little difference between the two, except Hikari has little blister-packed morsels of about one teaspoon each, while SFB just has a big wafer that you break up yourself.

Other frozen items of appropriate size are good too; mysis, amphipods, blackworms, glassworms, even krill might work for your chubsucker. But bloodworms seem to be the gateway frozen food.

#5 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:19 AM

Dave,

Look for a small freezer at your local pet shop. If you don't see one, don't be bashful about asking since some places keep their stock elsewhere. Like Nathan said, you can also find a decent selection at the chain stores and don't be alarmed at the price for a small package. If you find that you like a particular frozen food, you will be able to greatly reduce your cost by buying by the pound.

#6 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:22 PM

thanks for clarifying. next time i'm at the petstore i'll look for some.

how much do they cost?

#7 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2009 - 08:36 PM

thanks for clarifying. next time i'm at the petstore i'll look for some.

how much do they cost?

In small packages you should expect to pay roughly $.75 to $1 per ounce.

#8 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:19 PM

i saw both my chubsuckers chewing on freeze dried bloodworms today, but they didn't eat them. they chewed on them for quite a while beofre spitting them back out though. i think if i'm persistant, they'll eventually figure out the worms are food :)

i notice they graze on my decorations, i guess eating some kind of microscopic algae or bacteria i cant see, so the thought occured to me, what about algae wafers?

would chubsuckers eat algae wafers?

#9 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:35 PM

I have done well feeding mine veggie(spirlina) flakes so I don't see why they wouldn't eat algae wafers, I really have never had much trouble getting chubsuckers to feed, they seem to adjust to various flake foods without a whole lot of trouble. I do supplement my feedings with frozen blood worms though.

#10 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:30 PM

ok i'll give 'em a few more days to see if they will finally catch on that the flakes and bloodworms are food ;)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users