New Ecosystem Based Approach

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:53 PM

I've done the boiling sand thing in salt water, the visual effect is great but the effect on the water quality is beyond belief. I was thinking of having the boiling sand thing in my next tank, in just one area, kinda like the way I've seen on the bottom of some lakes while scuba diving. I always put a thin layer of soil under the sand in my tanks. It's a special mix I do and a layer of leaves then a thick layer of sand. I do get the occasional bubble from under the sand but it's not a problem. I use the Asian clams, and aquatic earth worms as well as black worms and as many small crustaceans as I can get to live under the conditions of the tank. I've even added water scorpions and other water insects. The water scorpions seem to specialize in eating ghost shrimp!

#22 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:44 PM

Some of my tanks are very similar. I haven't intentionally introduced much in the way of microfauna except for blackworms, but it always appears anyway. There are either no fish, or only pygmy killies. Water clarity is always excellent so long as there isn't a tannin source. Unfortunately, the tanks can be one of those "only a mother could love" type things, and are not for display in the main house...

I wish I had some colonial bryozoans. If anyone ever feels like sharing, I'd love it!

#23 Guest_scott361_*

Guest_scott361_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

Here's a link to the version that I liked!

http://www.farmertod...les/sandbed.asp

It's just more chatty and with everyone tossing out thoughts and ideas.
I remember following it earlier and liked the whole thing gathered in one place.

I was out and about today.
I spent some time watching the water boil the sand in a couple of my ponds.
It's just the coolest looking effect ever!!
Damn!
I sooo need a bigger tank! ;~)
I've been drooling over converting one of my 40ft shipping containers into one!
Even a twenty-footer would be chilling to watch.
No pun intended! ;~)

#24 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:53 AM

LOL I forgot I compiled that! I think I'm hitting academic saturation. Stuff is starting to fall out :)

Todd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users