Tadpole Madtom eats a crayfish

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

I just witnessed something interesting. I saw a commotion in my 30 gallon native tank. When I looked, a tadpole madtom had a hold of a crayfish. It was way too big to fit in the madtom's mouth, I watched the cat shake it and work on it for quite a while. I didn't know that they would eat something that large!

Madtomeatscray.jpg

This blurry shot shows the size of the crayfishes tail.

Madtomeatscray2.jpg

This catfish is way bigger than the last time I saw it. I guess I don't have to wonder how it got that way!

#2 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 04:05 AM

Maybe it's just me, but your Tadpole Madtom looks more like a Stonecat??? How big is it?

Brian

#3 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 09:19 AM

Yes, I agree that is no N. gyrinus. Definitely N. flavus. Its unfortunate that your cray is gone :( , however, N. flavus get quite big (for a madtom anyways) and would explain why he could eat the cray.

Blake

#4 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2009 - 03:00 PM

AH HA! (Smacks forehead) That's it! Thank you! ](*,)

I took that fish out of its tank last night and moved it in with my other madtoms. I also have two brindleds and a tadpole madtom that reputable NANFA members identified (not ignorant ones like me). When I caught the fish, I thought it was a brindled, then later I thought it was a tadpole. When I put it next to my real tadpole madtom, they didn't look the same.

Right now the stonecat is about the same size as my real tadpole madtom. I thought it grew awfully fast. Now I know that it's still growing. I have plenty of crayfish, I won't miss one. The fish that have been disappearing, however, I do miss. At least that will stop now.

#5 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:22 PM

Yep looks like a stonecat to me too, and they are much more prone to eat fish or other larger items like a crayfish.

#6 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:23 PM

I moved the stonecat to a 29 gallon tank with some other madtoms and my male longear. There's also a few crayfish for it to snack on. If it makes trouble there, I'll have to get rid of it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users