Keeping Catfish with Bluegills

5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Sombunya_*

Guest_Sombunya_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:11 PM

I found a Catfish today that is a good 12 inches long. Not sure how long it had been out of the water when I got it but I put it in a 5 gallon bucket to get it home (crowded). Again I searched for images on the net and it looks something like this:

Blue_Cat.JPG

I put it in a 60 gallon barrel of water I treated with Prime. It was moving kind of slow when I grabbed it and it sits at the bottom of the barrel. Probably kind of stressed and now is just recovering.

I have a small one in the 40 gallon tank that hides most of the time.

I have a 100 gallon tank that has four Bluegills in it. I could move one of them to the 40 but I was wondering how it might get along with the Bluegills? These fish are quite aggressive but I'm not sure if the Cat would get them, or they would get the Cat. I will search for a permanent home for it but can I add this fish to my 100 gallon tank? (60" long, 24" tall, 16" wide)

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

I found a Catfish today that is a good 12 inches long.

I have a 100 gallon tank that has four Bluegills in it

....can I add this fish to my 100 gallon tank? (60" long, 24" tall, 16" wide)

Of course, you can... it is only 12" it will obviously fit in a tank 60" long... that's just math... and don't worry about the sunfish, they'll be gone soon anyway...

...fish eat what they can fit in their mouth... again, it just becomes math...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2009 - 10:36 PM

Do you know what species it is? If its channel catfish you won't be able to permanently house it in a 100g. If its a bullhead it and the bluegills aren't particularly aggressive or small enough to be eaten they should get along fine. Is the tail squared or forked?

#4 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:03 PM

If it fits in their mouth, it IS food. That is the catfish motto (Most fish have that motto anyways. Heck, I have that motto! :twisted: ) If it is a bullhead, expect him to get about to a foot or so, although some get to almost two feet. Channel cats get much bigger, and they need huge tanks or a pond.
Your bluegills will generally be passive to slightly antagonistic with your catfish, they generally put up with one another and get along though. Expect some bluff sparring at feeding time as they scrabble towards the same food and argue over it.

#5 Guest_Sombunya_*

Guest_Sombunya_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:40 PM

Do you know what species it is? If its channel catfish you won't be able to permanently house it in a 100g. If its a bullhead it and the bluegills aren't particularly aggressive or small enough to be eaten they should get along fine. Is the tail squared or forked?

I haven't pulled it out to look at it so I can't tell you right now.

Before I read these responses I pretty much decided that I would have to take it to the "ecology pond" at the plant where I work, based on its behavior. Thank you for the reply though.

#6 Guest_blaze88_*

Guest_blaze88_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:39 AM

Hey, you might want to give it some stress coat. The stuff has gotten a bad rap lately from internet roomers, but it really does work wonders. My fish buddies and I call it fish drugs, just because they always go from "WTF JUST HAPPENED!!!?!?!?!?!" to "dude, you know whats cool, rocks."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users