Cumberland Arrow Darter

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2009 - 05:18 PM

Here's some photos of my Cumberland Arrow Darter. My old thread was deleted for unknown reasons, though this is a legal fish take. Just thought I'd post some updated photos of some fish.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:51 AM

That's one wicked-cool darter! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Brian

#3 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:32 AM

Reckon hillbillies DO have the best darters. Really cool stuff. How many different kinds of darters do you have?

#4 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

Reckon hillbillies DO have the best darters. Really cool stuff. How many different kinds of darters do you have?

1. Rainbow
2. Greenside
3. Fantail
3. Banded
4. Johnny
5. Orangethroat
6. Redline
7. Frecklebelly
8. Cumberland Arrow
9. Dusky
10. Striped
11. Sheltowee (possibly) or another Sp. variant
12. Juvenile TN. Snubnose
13. Variegate
14. Swamp
15. Bluebreast

So 15 is what I'm counting without looking at my tank.
I've had a Swannonoa, Emerald, and adult TN Snubnose die and haven't been replaced. I've also caught, but didn't keep a Speckled Darter

#5 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 11:50 AM

Are they all in the same tank? How well do they all get along? Aggression issues? Are most of them from nearby or have you traveled far(2hr+) to get them?

Totally jealous either way. :mrgreen: We have like 4 or 5 types in my immediate area. So far I only have 2 tessellateds but I haven't collected much being new to the hobby. I know we have bandeds, greensides, swamps, and logperch(my current holy grail).

You have certainly inspired me to get out and get some more. They are such fascinating fish!

#6 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:09 PM

Your darter choices in eastern PA are banded, greenside, tessellated, shield, and fantail.

#7 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

Sharp, Josh. You got to take me down to where you found it. With two of us and some prayer, we should be able to find a few more.

Actually, I was most impressed with the redline behind it in the fifth shot. Excellent fin color.

Bart: I have around 13 varieties of darters right now. They get along pretty well. Josh passed what he called an ill behaved redline along to me, but when it realized it wasn't the biggest darter in the tank (my logperch is about three times it's length), it wisely decided to behave itself. Actually, I did see the redline and a male bluebreast giving each other the hairy eyeball, but nothing came out of it, the bluebreast kept possession of his favorite rock.

If you're in east PA, the mountain streams of KY aren't that far of a drive. I'd suggest heading across I64 to D Boone National Forest. In the N fork of the Red River and tributaries, I've pulled out eleven varieties of darters: variegate, emerald, banded, rainbow, fantail, frecklebelly, dusky, logperch, headwater, greenside, and johnny. Not all from the same place, mind you.

Hope they get my power back on, I'm burning through a lot of batteries keeping my main tank aerated with a battery powered air pump. At least I'm not worried about the tank getting cold, the darters actually seem to like it.

#8 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

Thanks John for all the info, gonna have to make a road trip! I always find the prospect of new fish from new places quite exciting. :smile2: Google map says its a little over 8.5 hours. Might be a fun camping trip.

#9 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

1. Rainbow
2. Greenside
3. Fantail
3. Banded
4. Johnny
5. Orangethroat
6. Redline
7. Frecklebelly
8. Cumberland Arrow
9. Dusky
10. Striped
11. Sheltowee (possibly) or another Sp. variant
12. Juvenile TN. Snubnose
13. Variegate
14. Swamp
15. Bluebreast

So 15 is what I'm counting without looking at my tank.
I've had a Swannonoa, Emerald, and adult TN Snubnose die and haven't been replaced. I've also caught, but didn't keep a Speckled Darter

I'm sooooooooo jealous!! :mrgreen: I've only got Rainbow, Fantail, Blackside, Iowa, and Johnnies right now. Course, it's a little too cold to go out and collect more this time of year in Wisconsin. :rolleyes:

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters
American Native Fish for
your aquarium...and more!
Web: http://www.btdarters.com
Email: bt@btdarters.com
Phone: (262) 268-7489

#10 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:06 AM

All of mine seem to get along very well. I did have that one Redline that got aggressive in a smaller tank, but once John got it, bigger fish calmed it down. I have only one (Striped) that likes to claim one cave, but he won't fight over it. Everything else gets along great

John and I live in Central KY, so we are about 1 hour from several completely different drainages. We can go 1 hour east and find the Red River Area, 1 hour south and find the Rockcastle River drainage, 1 hour south west and find the Dix River area, etc... You'll find many different fish in each of these area's that you can't find in others, so it's interesting to travel around to see what you'll find. Also, I have family in Southeast KY (about 3 hours away) and family in Southwest VA (4 hours away) so when I go visit, I take my gear.

This was like a hobby turned obsession.

#11 Guest_bart_*

Guest_bart_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

This was like a hobby turned obsession.

I know the feeling!

Edited by bart, 30 January 2009 - 03:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users