Breeding suckers in captivity

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:09 PM

Has successful breeding of suckers in aquaria been accomplished? I can see how the riverine species would be difficult to accomodate, but it seems to me that Catostomus and Erimyzon at least should be no more difficult than minnows. Has anyone done this or know more on the subject?

#2 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2009 - 03:15 PM

I have had male chubsuckers get tubercles in aquariums but I have not had females in with them at the same time. I am wintering over some creek chubsuckers this winter and there are 3 females and 2 males in the group. I don't think I'm going to bring them in but rather just see if they spawn in the rubber lined pond they are in. I have wanted to try collecting some spotted suckers shortly before spawning and give them a try. I may have a chance to do just that this spring because one of the reservoirs I regularly survey with work has a small population of them. I just have to be lucky enough to come accross both a male and female when we are out for the spring bass surveys.

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

Please keep us updated on both projects! I'm very interested in hearing how they work out.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users