Blacknose Dace Turned Orange

14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:41 PM

about 30 minutes ago, the lateral stripe on my biggest blacknose dace turned bright orange. i've heard of others' blacknose dace doing this, but this is the first time i've seen it. it was quite weird. he stayed orange for about 15 minutes, and the whole time he was very aggressive to all the other fish. what causes them to turn orange?

a few pics:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2009 - 09:42 PM

To be exact, a sudden on-rush of 11-ketotestosterone, a very potent androgen hormone. He'll probably shift more into that aggressive, highly colored mode in the near future.

#3 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:04 PM

To be exact, a sudden on-rush of 11-ketotestosterone, a very potent androgen hormone. He'll probably shift more into that aggressive, highly colored mode in the near future.

Well that wording took all the fun out of the answer I was gonna give, but...yah, what he said. :laugh:

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:15 PM

OK, that fish is feeling frisky.

#5 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

he's orange again.

when he's orange, he RULES the tank. he doesn't let ANYBODY get in his way. there was even this one time where he just rocketed off to the other side of the tank, the fastest i've ever seen any fish swim in here. it was weird because he wasn't chasing any other fish or anything, just swam to the other side at the speed of light.

is he getting in a spawning mood or what? why is there an onrush of 11-ketotestosterone?

#6 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:45 PM

If you have two evenly matched males size wise things get really interesting, and the best part is despite their intense chasing of one another they don't ever seem to do any physical harm to one another or anyone else in the tank.

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:18 AM

Why the 11-KT? They can sense a changing environment, like temperature or daylight changes, and brain circuitry signals an uptick in male hormones like 11-KT. You should be glad, it's a sure sign of spring.

#8 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2009 - 12:44 PM

yeah i have two males that are both about the same size, and it sure is fun to watch them fight. i like it when to start doing tight circles around each other.

so do you think if i had a female in here they would try to spawn?

#9 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:44 PM

I have had them spawn in tanks before and didn't do anything special for them so I would say yes.

#10 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:46 AM

I have had them spawn in tanks before and didn't do anything special for them so I would say yes.

Did you try rearing up the fry?

#11 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:12 PM

No I did not ever try to raise them, they were in a community tank and I just let them be food.

#12 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2009 - 05:54 PM

I suggest you check your tank cover and try to block any openings. When they get in that "zooming" mode, they tend to go airborne.

#13 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:51 AM

the only opening is where my filter is, and theres really no place for them to escape there. when i feed them flakes, i'm always scared the dace are going to jump out of the tank, because they are always the first ones to the surface, and they rush up there and splash a lot of water. so i have to close the lid quickly after i drop flakes in.

Edited by dsaavedra, 17 February 2009 - 10:51 AM.

#14 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

my dace are bright orange almost all of the time now, and its getting really annoying. they're being mean to all the other fish, and driving them all to one side of the tank.

and whenever i try to feed my sunfish individually, they dace end up taking the food which is annoying also.

whats the deal?

#15 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

The technical term is, "endogenous testosterone"; they're jacked up on elevated hormones, and ready for death or glory.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users