blacknose dace got his tail bit off

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2009 - 08:22 PM

one of my blacknose dace fingerlings got his tail bit off! he just has a nub.

he has some trouble swimming, but he is still pretty quick and able to avoid predators. its still eating flakes also.

i think it will be interesting to see how it fares. right now it looks like it will be able to survive.

#2 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:50 PM

When dealing with fish loosing their fins due to Finrot, I've had good experience using Mela-Fix as a healer to help bring the fin back.

#3 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:41 AM

I have also had good experience with Melafix speeding up the recovery of fin damage. However, with the assortment of fish in your tank, a slow fish will likely disappear.

#4 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:01 AM

I have also had good experience with Melafix speeding up the recovery of fin damage. However, with the assortment of fish in your tank, a slow fish will likely disappear.

Freeze that fish, then feed it to the others.i can see no reason for the fish to sufer
a life with such a injury.

#5 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:57 AM

He has a crayfish, the fish will be gone soon enough. It's probably what caused the injury in the first place.

#6 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:22 AM

He has a crayfish, the fish will be gone soon enough. It's probably what caused the injury in the first place.

i agree, but i would still get it over with fast to start the food chain quicker.

#7 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:30 AM

i think the fish got eaten last night because i don't see it anywhere in the tank.

#8 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:19 PM

The food chain did it's work quicker than I said it would. Such is the expected risk of keeping crayfish and fish together.

#9 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:51 PM

The food chain did it's work quicker than I said it would. Such is the expected risk of keeping crayfish and fish together.

good no one was hurt to long. and all is well.life goes on.

#10 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:59 PM

i'm not sure who ate it. it may have been the crawfish but it could have been the pumpkinseed, bluegill, or mudminnow too. all of them were big enough to eat this little fish.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users