Another weird fish behavior post

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:55 PM

My golden topminnows seem to enjoy hanging lazily at the top of the water at the edge of their plants, then suddenly taking off across the tank slapping their tails at the surface of the water so vigorously it can be heard in other rooms. They splash water about 4" above the surface, although the fish themselves never jump. What are they doing? I used to think it was a spawning behavior because I would see two together, but as I watch more I see that they are most often by themselves when they do it.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

Arguably it's a behavior intended to knock insects off of leaves and into the water.

#3 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:54 PM

Sounds like a tail-slap archerfish. Cool observation.

#4 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:07 AM

That's an interesting theory. I had the impression that they were swimming away from the plants through open water when they did this. I'll have to watch to see if that's true.

#5 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 01:15 PM

Assuming no irration like caused by a parasite, it could it be a sound display intented for a conspecific audience that that can not see performer through the heavy vegetation? I think they could use it like a bird or primate contact call.

Test for dislodging insects by providing wingless fruit flies.

#6 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:45 PM

I've seen this display fairly frequently with a number of killies including golden topminnows but usually with two sparring males, maybe one is feeling testy and trying to stir up some trouble. Times I only saw one I assumed I'd just missed the first foul.

Or maybe its their way of showing you dissatisfaction with the food service kinda of like throwing shoes at visiting dignataries :smile2:

#7 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 07:33 PM

They get frozen food twice a day and live food twice a week, so if they're dissatisfied I'm gonna throw a shoe at them.

#8 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

It does sound like the sparring of males to me too. They do this in the pond throughout summer and it is fascinating to watch.

#9 Guest_boringname_*

Guest_boringname_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:56 AM

Seems like a good way of advertizing to females. The sound would be proportional to the force applied, a very good indicator of health to any available females. Makes more sense than most breeding displays.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users