Please help save my bass!! I think he's sick!!

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_blaze88_*

Guest_blaze88_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:32 PM

WOAH! As I read this I have 1,000,000 things to say!

80 PPM nitrates is dangerously high. Honestly I am suprised your fish is alive in 80 It needs to be below 20. Perhaps your test kit is broken. There really is no way to tell. Don't move your fish from tank to tank. Leave him in the tank from now on when you change.

Also 75% change can be dangerous too. This kills of good bacteria and can hurt your fish. With 80 PPM nitrates and 0 nitrites you have a really good biological filter. Don't mess it up. Do a 10% every day until your nitrates reach 10 or less. (I think that will be about two weeks.) DO NOT TAKE YOUR FISH OUT FOR THESE CHANGES.

Also where do you live, no I am not a stalker but are you in a heavy farming area or in an extreamly subaeban area with lots of pretty green lawns and golf courses?

Go to a local petsore (petsmart will do) and go in the fish chemical section. They should have packets of nitrite, nitrate and phosphate nutraliser. It comes in a classic cardboard package with a blue plastic part holding in the packet. The packet works like a filter insert. It looks like a tea bag. Put it into your filter. I am sorry I can't remember what it is called. Get a three pack while you are at it. THey last about two weeks.

Also while you are there get a freshwater master test kit. With the drops and glass vilesand corrosive warnings on the side. Yah thats the one! lol. Thats prety reiable if you don't have all the money in the world. The only bad thing it doesn't come with hardness and I never needed hardness, but... Well try the test kit agenst your old one and if everything matches fairly closely then just go with the hardness estamite even though it isn't exact. For hardness there are four catagoires that matter. Soft, medium, hard, very hard.

Also your hardness is high. Do you put any freshwater aquarium salt in your tank? If you don't get some of that and add the general stress tonic amound labled on the back.

Test your aquarium water with the new test kit. I am basing alot of what I am saying assuming your test kit is right. If it is not then well 1/2 of this stuff needs to be througn out.

Lastly test your tap water for nitrates, with your new test kit. That could be a problem, for you and the fish. Newborns die from nitrates in water and if you are a water holic (like me) you can get sick and die too.

Since you do not do enough water changes I know your nitrates are at least a little high. This causes somthing somthing anemia, not regualr anemai. (Sorry I cronicaly can't remember names.) Which is what alot of people die from too. (As i stated earlier, i just didn't give a reason or name.) Mehtaline blue is the way to go. Get some, or mehtaline green. It usally isn't pure (the damn FDA won't allow it even for fish. You know drug abuse etc.) but in many ich medicines it is listed as the active ingredent. Find a fish medicine (I could care less what for) with methaline blue or green listed as the ONLY active ingredent. (God i wish I knew whis all when my fish was dieing of nitrate posiening. She didn't make it.) This will cue your fish as long as you keep the nitrates down by all the ways told you. Well this is your best bet.

Do not use natural creek water if your fish is not used to it. You have no idea where that water has been.

I love python, I got it this week. Before I used milk jugs to empty my 80 gallon.

Please fill out this sheet, sorry if you already awnsered some things. This is my generic form.

How many fish do you have?

Are all your fish effected?

What is your gallonage?

What kind of decor and gravle do you have?

What about plants?

What kind of naiborhood/county do you live in?

How old is your fish?

Whats your PH?

Nitrates?

Nitrites?

Ammonia?

Hardness?

What test kit did you use? What brand?

WHats your filter?

WHat brand?

How do you treat your replacement water?

What brand if you use dechlor?

Where do you get your tap, or creek water? (from a resavar? Aquaduct?)

What do you do for airation?

Do you live in Aurora Colorado? (serous question)

All this is a formality incase I am wrong. There are a fewthings it could be but I am willing to bet some large amount of money that nitrate poisening is it. If you get your new test kit and test the water and it is under 20. Well then try the hardness level and add salt.

I know I can't spell, I honestly can't help it.

I also know I am a newbie here but I ahve been serously studying aquariums and biological filteration for about three years now, (well three in september).

Sorry I wrote a novel, but if you are like me (which you most likely arn't) you want to save your fishey. Well you can be that way too without being like me! lol.

#22 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 12:04 AM

Do you live in Aurora Colorado? (serous question)

What, may I ask, is so serious about Aurora Colorado?

#23 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:53 AM

I guess you have never been to Aurora, Colorado....

#24 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:14 PM

I guess you have never been to Aurora, Colorado....

I've never been west of Chicago, actually. I know my uncle was killed in a plane crash in Aurora, Colorado in 1980. I can't imagine that would have anything to do with fish health, though.

#25 Guest_blaze88_*

Guest_blaze88_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:18 PM

What, may I ask, is so serious about Aurora Colorado?

Nurotoxins in the water, a big cover up so the EPA can't find them, and a water system with VERY few fish tanks used from the tap. (When you use Aurora water the fish die within one week.) There is one guy who lives on the aurora water system and he is one of the two people who can import Chliclids from lake malaui into the US to widen the geen pool of Chiclids and when these toxins were first in the water about oh ten years ago ALL his fish died. I mean tens of thalsonds of dollars worth and the only way he could still use tap water was to get a reverse ozomoses machine that takes out EVERYTHING in the water and leaved 99.9% pure H2O.

So THATS what wrong with Aurora Colorado. (Luckily I am the next water system over. lol)

#26 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 02:25 PM

Nurotoxins in the water, a big cover up so the EPA can't find them, and a water system with VERY few fish tanks used from the tap. (When you use Aurora water the fish die within one week.) There is one guy who lives on the aurora water system and he is one of the two people who can import Chliclids from lake malaui into the US to widen the geen pool of Chiclids and when these toxins were first in the water about oh ten years ago ALL his fish died. I mean tens of thalsonds of dollars worth and the only way he could still use tap water was to get a reverse ozomoses machine that takes out EVERYTHING in the water and leaved 99.9% pure H2O.

So THATS what wrong with Aurora Colorado. (Luckily I am the next water system over. lol)

I see. And this stuff is allowed to remain in the water supply? Isn't it harmful to human health also? I think I would expect all sorts of lawyers to be converging on Aurora.

#27 Guest_blaze88_*

Guest_blaze88_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:45 PM

They had a REALLY big cover up so that the EPA when they had an investagation didn't find anything, but the guy who imports chiclids knows exactly what it is and so do many others since it fits the fish's symptoms and this guy has a masters in chemestry with an ephasis on water/fish/aquariums.

It is harmful to human health, but it takes a long time and lots of water drinking to take effect. So few people get sick, but they fish do right away.

THis disolved plastic like stuff (cant remember the exact name) is agenst federal regulations but no EPA person can prove that it is the water beond a shadow of a dought or with their own tests because of all the cover up work. Try to have an aquarium there with tap water and if you ask me THAT is proof enough since all your fish die.

So few peoplw know about this though. If the word was spread somthing probably would be done.

#28 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:58 PM

They had a REALLY big cover up so that the EPA when they had an investagation didn't find anything, but the guy who imports chiclids knows exactly what it is and so do many others since it fits the fish's symptoms and this guy has a masters in chemestry with an ephasis on water/fish/aquariums.

It is harmful to human health, but it takes a long time and lots of water drinking to take effect. So few people get sick, but they fish do right away.

THis disolved plastic like stuff (cant remember the exact name) is agenst federal regulations but no EPA person can prove that it is the water beond a shadow of a dought or with their own tests because of all the cover up work. Try to have an aquarium there with tap water and if you ask me THAT is proof enough since all your fish die.

So few peoplw know about this though. If the word was spread somthing probably would be done.

If the aquarium guy notified the local newspaper, and it became public knowledge, you'd think there might be a public outcry and something would get done. You'd think, anyway. Personally, I find this to be very troubling, and I live thousands of miles away in Pennsylvania. I can only imagine the concern the locals should have. Good luck getting that problem addressed.

I thought water suppies had to be tested regularly. Or is this chemical not on the list of things that are required to be tested for?

Now I would think the Aurora wastewater treatment plant would be discharging this water into a local stream. They are not likely to be treating wastewater to remove this chemical. I would then expect it to be killing fish in that stream, and being taken in by downstream municipal water supplies. Or is it too dilute by then?

#29 Guest_blaze88_*

Guest_blaze88_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:39 PM

If the aquarium guy notified the local newspaper, and it became public knowledge, you'd think there might be a public outcry and something would get done. You'd think, anyway. Personally, I find this to be very troubling, and I live thousands of miles away in Pennsylvania. I can only imagine the concern the locals should have. Good luck getting that problem addressed.

I thought water suppies had to be tested regularly. Or is this chemical not on the list of things that are required to be tested for?

Now I would think the Aurora wastewater treatment plant would be discharging this water into a local stream. They are not likely to be treating wastewater to remove this chemical. I would then expect it to be killing fish in that stream, and being taken in by downstream municipal water supplies. Or is it too dilute by then?

I dought the newspaper would care. Many people think it doesn't effect humand, even though it does over time. My grandpartent live on the water system and I bring botlled water every time i go over there. Actually there is very little outcry since little people know about the problem. I really dought a very unheard of chemical is on the list of tested things.

I have no idea about the discharge. Thats a scarry thought. I hope you are right about being diluted. Colorado is having a HUGE water polution problem. Out state fish is endangered. Its all really depressing. I wish the aurora resavour would just fix itself. Its all from dumping and stuff.

#30 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:58 PM

Where is that tinfoil hat?..........Oh there it is.....
And what does this water stuff in some colorado town have to do with this thread?

I have 1,000,000 other things to say but will leave it at that.....
Back on topic please..

Also please note Fisherman has not really asked for further information about the issue in quite some time.
So why not just not reply until needed again?

#31 Guest_blaze88_*

Guest_blaze88_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:30 PM

I guess we kind of got side tracted lol.

I hope his fish is ok...

#32 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:53 PM

I do not know how long this post has been here so as far as I know the Bass could be in fishy heaven. But as far as the creek water changes go. Do fifty fifty creek/declor tap and I think that would be the best route to take.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users