Any documented cases of sex changing...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Guest_az9_*

Guest_az9_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2009 - 09:22 PM

Are there any documented cases of centrarchids or yellow perch changing sex naturally after their sex has been determined -- even if it is very rare? How about any other native fish we encounter?

Last spring I sexed some yellow perch and attempted to plant only females in a pond but accidentally dumped a male in the pond. $%@#@^*! The pond had been drained and rotenoned before this. I am once again draining the pond and have removed 2 or 3 males of the age class I planted. Obviously I must have made a mistake but it's so easy to sex the males this time of year (a little squeezing emits milt). I just can't believe I goofed. with the sexing. So anyway this brought me to this topic although I'm sure it was human error and no sex changes.

I was so upset when i accidentally dumped the male in but there has been a silver lining. Those few males and the females produced several hundred 5 to 7 inch offspring in only a year's time and I will be able to use them for future production. I have to drain again anyway as I have some damage in my dike that needs to be repaired.

Edited by az9, 23 March 2009 - 09:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users