FLORIDA CONVENTION

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#41 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 18 September 2009 - 07:27 PM

It's only a couple weeks til the convention. Im leaving next Monday, the 28th so i can prescout the Tates Hell routes and setup the FSU Marine Lab for our post convention Tates Hell / Wakula Springs trip. 4 nights at the FSU Beach House. I still have room for a one or two more if anyone is so inclined.
Our Florida hosts are doing a great job of preparing for us. I have not missed a convention since 1998 with the exception of Michigan. I dont want to ever miss one again. I always enjoy the experience and they provide for excellent memories.
New waters, new fish, new experiences.
Casper
Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#42 FourSeineFeet

FourSeineFeet
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:03 AM

Young girls and apple snails

It is illegal to take across state lines.

Apple snails were listed on the Wacissa Springs . . . Sunday page.
Wacissa Springs

http://www.aphis.usd...ils_slugs.shtml

"Snails and Slugs

USDA requires permits for the importation of live snails and slugs under the authority of 7 CFR 330. USDA may permit the movement of snails or slugs for research purposes, educational demonstrations in classrooms, zoos or laboratories, or for retail sales in the hobby trade. Authorization depends on factors such as the risk of contaminants, the risk the species poses to the environment, and the level of containment at the destination site. A PPQ 526 permit is required if snails move across state lines or are imported into the United States."

#43 cam191919

cam191919
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

man its so close and i cant make it :(

i hope there a lot of good finds at those field trip spots,i may have to check em out

#44 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:11 PM

I wish you would put common names too, or at least the whole scientific name. Makes it hard to figure out what kinds of fish are there. (i.e. Ap. sayanus)

Edited by Mike, 26 September 2009 - 07:23 PM.

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#45 Newt

Newt
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:30 PM

Am. Natalis, Ap. Sayanus, Ch. Gulosus, E. okefenokee, Eth. fusiform, H. formosa, Lepomis species, Luc. Goodei, N. harperi, P. latipinna,

Ameiurus natalis = yellow bullhead
Aphredoderus sayanus = pirate perch
Chyanobryttus (now Lepomis) gulosus = warmouth
Elassoma okefenokee = Okefenokee pygmy sunfish
Etheostoma fusiforme = swamp darter
Heterandria formosa = least livebearer
Lepomis species = sunfish
Lucania goodei = bluefin killifish
Notropis harperi = redeye chub
Poecilia latipinna = sailfin molly

Nathan Parker.

#46 schambers

schambers
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:26 PM

Thanks! Having the full scientific plus common names helps us undereducated folks! ;-)
Susan

Toledo Reef Aquarium Club - And Freshwater Too!

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

#47 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:30 AM

Thank you,
I was going through the species check list on the NANFA sight but I missed Pirate Perch abrevation twice, then gave up in frustration.

Mike
Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#48 FourSeineFeet

FourSeineFeet
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:54 AM

All browsers, word processors, and pdf programs have a find function.

In Internet Explorer, try Ctrl+f, or go to the top menu, click Edit, then Find.

#49 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 16 October 2009 - 08:42 PM

Just wanted to say what a great convention this was. Really great job all around. Our hosts were fantastic, great speakers and oh man I love these fish The NANFA auctions are as much fun as anything else, Phil could have a career in stand-up. Always great to meet members face to face. Even managed to get my big bush from the auction home alive and some cuttings look real nice in my 55 gallon Pteronotropis tank. Oh and the live music at the banquet was a nice touch! Thanks to all who made this happen.
Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#50 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:18 PM

I forgot about the music. I just wanted to jump up and shout Hallelujah!
Excellent meal courtesy of the Cuban culinary arts.
:)
Fine Hosts the Florida crew.
Another wonderful convention.
I didnt come back with any fish but im ashamed a few pounds were likely added nonetheless.
:(

Edited by Casper Cox, 17 October 2009 - 12:32 PM.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.