darters with white cloud mountain minnows?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_T/A_*

Guest_T/A_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:20 PM

I have a 75 gallon tank filled with about 40 gallons. I'm using two internal power filters to create a stream like water current. Right now I have about 25 white cloud mountain minnows and 1 cherry red shrimp in the tank. The tank's temp varies between 71 and 74F. I would like to add a few darters to this tank. Would my minnows become darter snacks?

#2 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 01:02 AM

T/A,

I would say, for the most part, "no". The vast majority of darters are going to have mouths too small to consume your Mountain Minnows. Baby Red Cherry Shrimp might be a snack for the darters, though.

Brian

#3 Guest_T/A_*

Guest_T/A_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

Sounds good to me, thanks. I was even thinking my adult shrimp might be in danger. But I can always set up one of my smaller tanks for the lone shrimp if needed. Now I just have to figure out if I want to purchase the darters or buy a fishing license and try to collect some(if that's even possible in my area). Still doing research on that. I'm planning on 4 or 5 darters for this tank, any problems with that many?

#4 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:55 PM

My 75 has around 25 darters in it right now, along with emerald shiners, redbelly dace, and blacknose dace. No problem, though I do have double filtration on it, and plenty of rocks and overhangs for them to hide under or perch on. Only the fantails like to stay under a rock, most of them are quite the exhibitionists.

I believe you have some interesting darters in southern PA, definitely worth going for a look. Finding them is at least half of the fun, anyway.

#5 Guest_Runan_*

Guest_Runan_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

I have a similar question...I have a heavily planted 10 gallon tank with a bunch of white clouds, and I wanted to add a swamp darter or two. However, I also have some shrimp in there--3 red cherry shrimp, 2 amano shrimp and 3 ghost shrimp. Would swamp darters harass/eat the adult shrimp? I don't really care if it eats any minnow fry or baby shrimp, I just want to be sure they'll leave the adult shrimp alone.

#6 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:09 PM

I have a similar question...I have a heavily planted 10 gallon tank with a bunch of white clouds, and I wanted to add a swamp darter or two. However, I also have some shrimp in there--3 red cherry shrimp, 2 amano shrimp and 3 ghost shrimp. Would swamp darters harass/eat the adult shrimp? I don't really care if it eats any minnow fry or baby shrimp, I just want to be sure they'll leave the adult shrimp alone.

I have whisker shrimp in with both swamp and rainbow darters and they seem to get along fine in my ten gallon

Edited by killier, 02 April 2009 - 04:09 PM.

#7 Guest_Runan_*

Guest_Runan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

I have whisker shrimp in with both swamp and rainbow darters and they seem to get along fine in my ten gallon

That's good. I had a Whisker shrimp for a while, but she died recently. :( She was pretty big and all the other shrimp are still healthy and active, so I'm assuming it was old age. Anyway, I think I'll try some darters in the 10 gallon and see how it goes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users