Questions about tagging voucher specimens

30 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_airbrn1187_*

Guest_airbrn1187_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:17 PM

On that note. Two questions, Can Formalin be reused? and if not what is the proper disposal?

#22 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:23 PM

Yeah, it can be re-used. Just strain it through filter paper or paper towels to get any detritus out.

I once got formalin in my eye. I do not recommend this. Wearing safety goggles is a good idea. A fume hood is ideal, but not everyone has one. My lab just has 'snorkel' ventilators, which are not terribly effective.

Also, if you are working with formalin for an extended period, change your gloves periodically. They will start to break down and let the formalin through. It's amazing how many tiny cuts and abrasions you can have on your hands and not be aware of until the formalin finds its way into them.

#23 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 10:20 AM

Three questions, one that got overlooked earlier in the thread...

1) Will Rite in Rain paper work with pencil?

2) Will Fireline work as a string or is it too thin (thus more of a tear risk)?

3) I have an industrial sharpie to write on the 'fuge capsules. Can this also be used on the paper? Or should I stick to pencil?

Thanks!

Now to figure out a photo tank. I think the 2.5 gallon will work if I can get the trim off without breaking it. I have some solvent that I'm going to use first to eat up some of the silicone. I busted 2 tanks last weekend to take really crappy pictures lol. I might have to get some thicker plexi too, and use Dad's table saw. The thin stuff bends in the middle, and you almost have to smash the fish to get it in place.

Todd

#24 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:16 AM

Todd, Solvent will not likely help you since silicone is impervious to so many things. You might want to try a snap off razor knife on both sides of the 2.5 G tank rim. You should be able to slip the blade of a small knife under the rim without too much trouble.

#25 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:26 AM

Thanks Uland, that is good to know. I suppose a snap off will work better. I was trying to get the trim off with a Lutz metal utility knife ;)

Todd

#26 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:34 AM

Rite in Rain paper and pencil works fine. Don't know about sharpies and formalin; I stick to archival pens for lab work. In the field, I always use pencil. I don't like to mess with sharpies in the field if there's a lot of alcohol being slung around (for whatever reason). I've almost totally lost markings on the outsides of jars to EtOH spills. If you're lucky, a purple trace will be left behind of what you wrote. So, alcohol and sharpies don't mix. Well, they do, just a little too well.

Edited by rjmtx, 01 May 2009 - 11:36 AM.

#27 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2009 - 02:17 PM

Okey dokey. Well I have plenty of pencils. It would probably be best if I kept the industrial sharpie separate and secure so I don't loose it. I can see me using it for taking a note or something dumb and misplacing and then having info on a tube get rubbed off.

This is why I usually ID something and put it back, this is too much forethought lol. But I figure I should at least put the tissues in the OSUM if I'm gonna fix 'em to photograph 'em.

Todd

#28 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:27 AM

Rite in Rain paper and pencil works fine. Don't know about sharpies and formalin; I stick to archival pens for lab work. In the field, I always use pencil. I don't like to mess with sharpies in the field if there's a lot of alcohol being slung around (for whatever reason). I've almost totally lost markings on the outsides of jars to EtOH spills. If you're lucky, a purple trace will be left behind of what you wrote. So, alcohol and sharpies don't mix. Well, they do, just a little too well.

Rite in the Rain makes two different paper formulas; one works better for pencil and the other for pen. If you mix them up, you'll notice immediately; pen won't stick (an old lab had 1000s of labels made up with the wrong paper...). Neither works as good as Byron Weston Resistall and an archival pen.

Industrial strength sharpies are much more EtOH-resistant than normal sharpies, but you still need to make sure the ink dries. If you're really paranoid drop a separate paper tag in the tube.

Superlines have a slick coating; square knots don't hold as well and they can slice through tags and tissue more easily. Some superlines (PowerPro) also have coloring that can come off on your specimens, leaving big green patches on them (Grrrrr). #1 Surgical cotton thread works well and is much cheaper.

#29 Guest_rjmtx_*

Guest_rjmtx_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2009 - 12:25 PM

Now I'm going to go check all the different Rite in the Rain types I have lying around...

#30 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:42 PM

I should be more paranoid. Looked like everything was good, had been 30 minutes out in the wind, put them in a bag, one of them opened, lost my info. <sigh>

Also helps if you remember the paper. lol.

This is why I'm an aquatic ecologist... I measure the environment, and then I'm done. Too many things to forget doing that ichthyology thing! :)

Todd

#31 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:47 PM

One thing I'll give EPA credit for in their monstrous NRSA survey is the indivudal fish vouchering procedure. Individual fish get a uniquely numbered tag, that and the fish goes in a strip of onion bag and you zip tie both ends of the bag. The bag stretchs to the shape of the fish pretty nicely and it comes in a few sizes. That way all the fish vouchers from one site can go in one jar and tags aren't through the fish. The information on the tag isn't as detailed but that is because the ID number references a larger data sheet. Not sure my fingers are steady enough to thread a strand to a tag through a 2" minnows mouth.

I like 0.25 tip pens but I rarely write on something other than a 2" X 3" label.

Sorry for jumping in this conversation so late. Just thought someone might be able to use this info. When preserving fish in formalin I use paint strainer bags to place fish in. They come in various useful sizes, are quite cheap, don't harm fish scales or fins, you can put multiple samples in same formalin container, can be pulled out of formalin with forceps and given water baths, then can be reused after final storage of fish. This method was shown to me by another ichthy and has worked amazingly well.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users