Traveling biotope tank ideas

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JMoore_*

Guest_JMoore_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:49 PM

Hey Everyone,

I work for a local government and part of my job is public outreach on water quality issues. To that end, I am looking at putting together a native fish community aquarium together for an educational display about what a reasonably healthy Georgia Piedmont (Upper Ocmulgee watershed) stream looks like.

Nothing too fancy; I'm looking for fish that are local, hardy, and active- you know, good native fish ambassadors . I guessing that mostly leaves me with local cyprinidae and a crayfish, but I'm open to suggestions.

That's probably the easy part. The hard part is that this aquarium and community of fish will need to be relocated every 3-6 months. What I want to do is move it around the various high traffic, local government lobbies and waiting rooms. I want the citizens to see that there are fish that are every bit as interesting as any tropical fish living in their neighborhoods. Hopefully they'll remember that the next time they're about the dump used motor oil in a neighborhood storm drain.

This set up needs to be big enough to get peoples' attention, but not too big for two people to move (once drained, of course). I'll need to able to secure the hood to keep kids (and adults for that matter) from attempting to feed the fish peanut butter crackers.

Any suggestions? On equipment? On good candidates for stocking?

Thanks in advance for your help! James

Edited by JMoore, 08 April 2009 - 12:52 PM.

#2 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:47 PM

Depending on space available in the lobbies you plan to show the fish in, you may be able to get a 55 gal tank. That is not too much to handle for 2 people, but you can always go smaller if pushed for space.
Being a Georgian (and several other members here are as well) growing up in the Middle Oconee drainage, I already know my ideal native community setup from the Ocmulgee.
I would set up a stream tank with any/all of the following:
Yellowfin shiner (Notropis lutipinnis)
Bluehead chub (Nocomis leptocephalus)
Rosyface chub (Hybopsis rubrifrons)
Blackbanded darter (Percina nigrofasciata)
Torquoise darter (Etheostoma inscriptum)
If you have the space, Also check out some other Cyprinella like the Ocmulgee shiner, bluestripe and Altamaha shiners.
I think a tank is way more impressive with large numbers of few species, than few numbers of many species.
I'm sure others from the area will back me up (Michael Wolfe may chime in) that yellowfin shiners and bluehead chub colors are hard to beat when kept happy and healthy. They are not picky eaters and are some of my personal favorites.
Try to collect substrate, rocks, driftwood locally and position powerhead(s) at on end of the tank to create a one-way current.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:20 PM

I have moved 55s and it is not too hard, so I would agree with that idea. And, in general, I agree with Uncle Wille... I love our yellowfins and blueheads... and the color and activity is impossible to beat. Blackbandeds and Torquoise are also pretty tough and good looking. The only thing I would caution is that rosyface chubs have not been as hardy in my experience as the other fish.

I sometimes get my geography confused, so forgive me if I am wrong, but there is another alternative if you are willing to think a little farther south... You could go with some of the slower moving water systems from down towards Milledgeville. That way you could include my other favorite fish... Pteronotropis stonei... I know of at least one location where they co-exist with yellowfins, blackbandeds, and a couple of other different fish... would be just as easy to maintain and add a new color (orange) to the shiner mix... I'm sure there are some other good fish from that habitat as well, but don't remember them right off... I could look it up tonight.

So, when are we going out to start collecting fish for this adventure... I'm about ready to get wet, now that we have had our last freeze last night!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Guest_JMoore_*

Guest_JMoore_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:21 PM

Thanks Uncle Willie. The yellowfin shiners will be in there, without a doubt. I have some in my desktop aquarium right now.

You can count on some chubs in there as well.

I would LOVE to have turquoise darters in the tank, but never having kept them, I'm not sure how I'd handle their live food preferences since they may be off site. Also, would turquoise darters require a chiller? Definitely something I'd like to do though.

#5 Guest_JMoore_*

Guest_JMoore_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:37 PM

So, when are we going out to start collecting fish for this adventure... I'm about ready to get wet, now that we have had our last freeze last night!

I'm ready to get out there right now! But I probably ought to get the tank set up first...of course I can always add to my personal tanks in the mean time. :smile2:

I'd like to collect everything from the Henry County area if possible. I have some pretty good spots that in mind. That way I could have a map posted next to the tank and really drive home to the folks that these fish are in their neighborhoods.

This is great. Please keep the suggestions coming...

#6 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

That's great. Do you know about what size tank you will be able to get?
If you do not want to feed anything other than prepared foods (flakes, pellets, etc), the darters may be a problem. The darters do fine with frozen bloodworms, but since the tank may be out of your hands, I didn't know if the folks at the office you plan on putting the tank will want to mess with them.
In regard to Michael's recommendation to adding Pteronotropis, I think there are some in the Ocmulgee. I swear I have seen some in small tribs a few years back, but that was before I was really into fishes.. So you never know.
Definately post on here if you plan a trip and need some help. I know if any are in the area and have time, we would love to help haul a seine and buckets!
Cheers

#7 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:34 PM

Have you thought about one of those nano tanks? I think the large ones are around 20g they look really nice and everything being inside not alot of mess is generated. The lighting would have to be tuned or changed to a lesser bulb but other than that I dont see much of a problem with set-up or movement.

Now I hate to be a buzz kill but in my 55 I have
Yellowfin shiners
bluehead chub
Fireyblack shiners
Turqoise darters
and
blackbanded darters
however if I didnt feed the darters differently they would starve very few darters can or could compete with a school of yellowfins in feeding. Pteronotropis on the other hand are not quite as agressive and make a better tankmate species for most darters.

If you have the time to specially feed the darters I would have more turqoise than blackbanded mainly because etheostoma seem to handle captivity better than percina

#8 Guest_JMoore_*

Guest_JMoore_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:08 AM

Have you thought about one of those nano tanks? I think the large ones are around 20g they look really nice and everything being inside not alot of mess is generated. The lighting would have to be tuned or changed to a lesser bulb but other than that I dont see much of a problem with set-up or movement.

By nano, do you mean something like a BioCube? That would certainly make things convenient. Does anyone on this site have any experience with kinds of set-ups with natives?

As far as feeding, I'm planning on taking care of that myself as much as possible, but live food or specialized feeding probably won't be practical since I can't guarantee that I'll be the only feeding the fish.

#9 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:33 AM

By nano, do you mean something like a BioCube? That would certainly make things convenient. Does anyone on this site have any experience with kinds of set-ups with natives?

As far as feeding, I'm planning on taking care of that myself as much as possible, but live food or specialized feeding probably won't be practical since I can't guarantee that I'll be the only feeding the fish.

yes I am discussing one of the bio cubes and after a quite google search they make them in a 29g model which seems perfect for the job.
a good school of yellowfins and a few bluehead chub would make that tank stunning

#10 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:11 AM

blackbanded darters
however if I didnt feed the darters differently they would starve very few darters can or could compete with a school of yellowfins in feeding. Pteronotropis on the other hand are not quite as agressive and make a better tankmate species for most darters.

If you have the time to specially feed the darters I would have more turqoise than blackbanded mainly because etheostoma seem to handle captivity better than percina

Since this would be a traveling tank, I am assuming it would be completely broken down in-between trips. You could house the darters in a different aquarium when they are not on display.

Alternatively, feeding darters with shiners isn't hard. Get a bit of rigid plastic tubing (say, 1" diameter) that will reach to the bottom of the tank. PVC pipe works fine. Put a funnel on top. Thaw the frozen food in a cup of tank water and dump into the funnel. The darters quickly learn that the tube brings food, especially if you put it in the same place all the time. Simultaneously feed the shiners flakes on the opposite side of the tank. Shiners go to the top in one corner, darters to the bottom in the other.

#11 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

If you will be doing most of the feeding, then like nativeplanter said, you can make sure darters get the food they need.
I have not used a BioCube, but I do have a 12 gal Eclipse tank which is similar. I do like it, but only for the slackwater species that like a little bit warmer temp (flagfish, rainwater and bluefin killies). I do not (will not) keep other species in there since the hood is completely inclosed, the water temp rises way past I feel other species will be confortable. I am not sure if the BioCube tank have similar issues. However, I think they are great, attractive tanks.
Just my personal opinion - If you are wanting stream species in a display tank, a "long" setup looks best and more natural of a stream, as opposed to "cube".
So the choice is yours. Choose whatever is practical in moving and attractive to your (and the public's) eye.

#12 Guest_JMoore_*

Guest_JMoore_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:05 AM

If you are wanting stream species in a display tank, a "long" setup looks best and more natural of a stream, as opposed to "cube".
So the choice is yours. Choose whatever is practical in moving and attractive to your (and the public's) eye.

I agree completely that a "long" set-up would be ideal. With some powerheads and a chiller it could really simulate a stream nicely.

The BioCube 29 is appealing due to compact size and the fact that its appears that it would be simpler to set up and break down. The temperature is a concern though.

I currently have a 30gal Eclipse at home that has yellowfin shiners, a couple of chubs, and a native crayfish. They seem to thrive in it, but it is in drafty part of the house and that seems to keep the temperature well below 72F most of the year. If located in a sunny lobby with the thermostat cranked up to "bake", an enclosed tank may get too warm.

As for the darters, if turquoise darters adapt that well to frozen food, maybe they're not out of the question.

#13 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:51 AM

I'm not so sure you would need a chiller. If the fish are kept in air conditioning, the ones you mention should be fine so long as the current is ok. For traveling, if it is hot you can put ice cubes in a hang-on-back filter every now and then to keep the water cool. I assume that someone would be attending the tank while traveling, to help with education/interpretation.

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:03 AM

I would LOVE to have turquoise darters in the tank, but never having kept them, I'm not sure how I'd handle their live food preferences since they may be off site. Also, would turquoise darters require a chiller? Definitely something I'd like to do though.

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but wanted to respond to this right away... no chiller required for tourqouise darters... and they do not require live food... they like it... and they like frozen... but they have learned to eat flakes in my basement no prblems... maybe learned from the shiners, but they get the idea and come out to beg for food when they see me coming.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#15 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:06 AM

however if I didnt feed the darters differently they would starve very few darters can or could compete with a school of yellowfins in feeding.

Have to disagree with you here robert... I have always had shiner schools above my darters and they do very well... and the blackbadeds in aprticular get righ up in the water column with the shiners... heck, even my swamp darters have figured out how to perch on plants high up in the tank so that they can compete for food... come flying off of a leaf and "dart" righ into teh school of shiners...

#16 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

I currently have a 30gal Eclipse at home that has yellowfin shiners, a couple of chubs, and a native crayfish. They seem to thrive in it, but it is in drafty part of the house and that seems to keep the temperature well below 72F most of the year. If located in a sunny lobby with the thermostat cranked up to "bake", an enclosed tank may get too warm.

Sun can be a big problem, an so too can be overactive thermostats, but I am going to agree with Laura (usually a pretty safe bet anyway)... you do not need a chiller... my yellowfins are inthe living room, and there are swamp darters, blackbanded darters and bluebreast darters in there too... everone is happy at room temp... everyone is certainly more excited during a cold tap water, water change... but they do very well in just a 75 glalon sitting on one wall away from the windows.

Can you tell I'm excited about this project... three responses to the same thread... in a row... sorry 'bout that, just love my GA Fishes!

#17 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

Agreed.. no chiller needed. As long as the lobby isn't all glass (making a greenhouse-like temp) and the tank is in direct sunlight - don't want to cook the fish. Otherwise, I think a chiller is just one more expense and item to haul around.

Can you tell I'm excited about this project... three responses to the same thread... in a row... sorry 'bout that, just love my GA Fishes!

I can't wait to get back in the water either. I am actually coming into Athens Friday til Monday I think. I may have to squeeze in some time to see what shape the fish are in :happy:

#18 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 09 April 2009 - 01:22 PM

I can't wait to get back in the water either. I am actually coming into Athens Friday til Monday I think. I may have to squeeze in some time to see what shape the fish are in :happy:

They are probably all drowned, based on our weather recently... but let me know if you do... I have tomorrow off, and we could go see if the tourqoise are fired up, or if they all washed downstream... but I know a place to find out... and only a mile from my house... call me.

#19 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2009 - 04:44 PM

Hey guys. I'm not available Friday, but I am Saturday, either in Athens or south towards my area.

I'm giving a native fish talk to the local fish club in early May, and I need photos and some stream time anyway!

(BTW: Mike, the P. stonei location seems to yield far more ironcolor shiners than yellowfin, after looking hard at Alejandro's and mine, I've found.

Ironcolors are nice fish, but they don't color up as nicely as yellowfins. Just as hardy and active, though.

#20 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:32 PM

(BTW: Mike, the P. stonei location seems to yield far more ironcolor shiners than yellowfin, after looking hard at Alejandro's and mine, I've found.

Ironcolors are nice fish, but they don't color up as nicely as yellowfins. Just as hardy and active, though.

Something happened when we netted out fish that day... without really trying it seemed that I was able to get 10 or so yellowfins and a dozen ironcolors... almost no stonei for me and no N. hudsonius... the only thing I can think is that they partitioned environement... even in the cooler... so that whatever way it was that we swept the net through... we got a specific fish and left the others behind...

But in general you are correct... yellowfins are more of a fast moving fish... I think the spot that we go to is sort of marginal habitat for both fish... most folks would not think of those two fish being in the same spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users