Lethal Temps for Creek Chubsuckers?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2009 - 02:01 PM

over the past weekend, it got really hot outside, and inside (our AC was broke) and the temperatures in my tanks got to about 82°F. both of my creek chubsuckers died, and the smaller one got eaten by my crawfish, and the bigger one just floated to the surface and decomposed. i had a bucket of small minnows outside that i feed to my fish and there was a creek chubsuker in there (along w/ several blacknose dace, 1 mudminnow, a few tadpoles, and a newt) and out of everything in the bucket only the creek chubsucker died.

are they not that tolerant to high water temperatures or what?

#2 Guest_Drew_*

Guest_Drew_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:07 PM

It was probably the lower dissolved oxygen level more so than the warmer temperature.

#3 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:23 PM

It was probably the lower dissolved oxygen level more so than the warmer temperature.

that would make sense in the bucket, but even in my tank? i have it very well aerated, with my filter output and i have an 18" bubble rod in there.

#4 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:47 PM

I have a few creek chubsuckers living at 82 degrees right now, but the tank is very well circulated and they've been in there for a few months. I'd imagine they can tolerate pretty high temps, as the ones I have now were caught in isolated pools of a sluggish (could probably be considered tidal) creek. In the past, Fritz and I caught a few big ones in a large puddle caused by high water in the Waccamaw River. Don't know how long they had been there but it was a large, shallow pool (maybe 1.5 feet deep at the most) with no cover and a lot of sun exposure. I think they're pretty tough critters.

#5 Guest_dsaavedra_*

Guest_dsaavedra_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:55 PM

hmmm, then i wonder why all my creek chubsuckers died, and it was only the creek chubsuckers, nothing else dided. are they not very tolerant to lower levels of DO? even if that is the case, like i said before, i think my tank is pretty well aerated. the surface is constantly rippling, bubbles come in from the filter outflow, and i have an 18" bubble rod on the gravel in the back of the tank on the side opposite the filter outflow.

#6 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:10 PM

hmmm, then i wonder why all my creek chubsuckers died, and it was only the creek chubsuckers, nothing else dided. are they not very tolerant to lower levels of DO? even if that is the case, like i said before, i think my tank is pretty well aerated. the surface is constantly rippling, bubbles come in from the filter outflow, and i have an 18" bubble rod on the gravel in the back of the tank on the side opposite the filter outflow.

How long have you had them. Some people have had problems feeding them and they can last a while. On the other hand if caught recently they may have suffered injury when caught.

#7 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

I have a few creek chubsuckers living at 82 degrees right now, but the tank is very well circulated and they've been in there for a few months. I'd imagine they can tolerate pretty high temps, as the ones I have now were caught in isolated pools of a sluggish (could probably be considered tidal) creek. In the past, Fritz and I caught a few big ones in a large puddle caused by high water in the Waccamaw River. Don't know how long they had been there but it was a large, shallow pool (maybe 1.5 feet deep at the most) with no cover and a lot of sun exposure. I think they're pretty tough critters.

I've found them in similar conditions in West Tennessee, in bathwater-warm pools left by a retreating swamp. But the pools were well-vegetated, and that may have provided enough shade and O2 to preserve the chubsuckers.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users