Branched Lateral Line

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:05 AM

Here is a picture of a Notropis I collected in the susquehanna drainage. When IDing under a scope I noticed the lateral line branching in multiple specimens. Has anyone run across this in other places? What could be the cause?

Thanks,
Tim

Attached Images

• fish_062.jpg

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:08 PM

Well I've gotta say that looks pretty strange to me. Can't say I've ever run across that around here.

#3 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:23 PM

Well I've gotta say that looks pretty strange to me. Can't say I've ever run across that around here.

Thats what I thought... I have spoken with a few other biologist in the central PA area, none of which have seen this before. Needless to say my curiosity is peaked.

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

I'd guess that it's an error from embryonic development, because the lateral line in fishes forms from the migration of groups (placodes) of ectodermal cells in a head to tail direction. I've never seen an adult fish with this pattern, either.

#5 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:57 PM

I'd guess that it's an error from embryonic development, because the lateral line in fishes forms from the migration of groups (placodes) of ectodermal cells in a head to tail direction. I've never seen an adult fish with this pattern, either.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking along the same line (lateral line that is) haha. The wierd thing is... many fish within the same species showed similar traits in the sample. Two causes that I could think of would be genetic and environmental. Since there was no indication of this in other species within the sample I am leaning more on the genetic theory.

#6 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:26 PM

Its possible an environmental disruptor could affect one species more than others. Were they all about the same size, or did you see this deformity in multiple age classes? Whats the fish? looks like maybe N.amoenus or rubellus?

Thanks for the info. I was thinking along the same line (lateral line that is) haha. The wierd thing is... many fish within the same species showed similar traits in the sample. Two causes that I could think of would be genetic and environmental. Since there was no indication of this in other species within the sample I am leaning more on the genetic theory.

#7 Guest_darter1_*

Guest_darter1_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:21 AM

Its possible an environmental disruptor could affect one species more than others. Were they all about the same size, or did you see this deformity in multiple age classes? Whats the fish? looks like maybe N.amoenus or rubellus?

They were all N. volucellus. They were all the same age class. I did notice one N. amoenus with a slight hump in the lateral line, but nothing to the extent of the N. volucellus. I would guess about 10-15 specimens showed this abnormality.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users