cyprinid for a darter tank

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:47 PM

I have a tesselated darter in a 3 gallon tank and wonder if their is a good species of cyprinid found in my area (southwestern new hampshire) who will be a good tank mate for him and help him to eat food (he eats very inefficiently) without out competing him for it.

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:04 PM

Three gallons is a very confined space for a fast-moving fish like a cyprinid. If you moved the darter to a ten gallon you could add some dace (Phoxinus species) or smaller shiners, such as bridle shiners (Notropis bifrenatus). Otherwise a snail or two might be the best bet for cleaning up uneaten food. I'm not sure if tesselateds are snail-eaters.

#3 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:58 PM

Three gallons is a very confined space for a fast-moving fish like a cyprinid. If you moved the darter to a ten gallon you could add some dace (Phoxinus species) or smaller shiners, such as bridle shiners (Notropis bifrenatus). Otherwise a snail or two might be the best bet for cleaning up uneaten food. I'm not sure if tesselateds are snail-eaters.

You should really get a bigger tank. The bigger the tank, the more fish you can have. You can also have some cyprinids in it also if it was about 30g. Any tank between 10-20 can really only fit a few dace and still they would be cramped. In my preference I dont want my fish to just survive I want them to be happy, thrive, and survive..

#4 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:42 PM

Instead of cyprinids you may want to look into something a little less active, I believe banded killifish live in NH but even with those I would still suggest upgrading.

#5 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

The idea is right but Bridle shiners are protected in NH I believe, threatened whatever that means exactly.

Edited by keepnatives, 17 May 2009 - 08:00 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users