other foods for darters

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:31 PM

My darter loves bloodworms and i hear blackworms are good but no local store sells them.

I wonder if darters like other frozen food? my local store has quite a selection ranging from mysis shrimp to cyclops to glass worms (white mosquito larvae) and i wonder if any of these would be good for giving darters variety to their diet.

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

Sure, whatever a darter will eat is good. Smaller items are better since most darters have small mouths. Glassworms would be good, as is frozen BS. Tiny earthworms are excellent too if you have a good compost heap going (and who doesn't?).

#3 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:22 PM

My natives all love mysis. I alternate it with bloodworms. I'm surprised your store doesn't have bloodworms if they have all those others. You might ask if they would get some in.

#4 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

FirstChAoS,

My source for blackworms in bulk is Aquatic Foods out of California. Their website is http://www.aquaticfoods.com. They have great service, and I'm always really happy with the worms.

Brian

#5 Guest_bflowers_*

Guest_bflowers_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:08 AM

FirstChAoS,

My source for blackworms in bulk is Aquatic Foods out of California. Their website is http://www.aquaticfoods.com. They have great service, and I'm always really happy with the worms.

Brian

I have also use small whole red worms to feed Greensides and Rainbows. They get hold and don't let go till all of the worm is gone.

Bill F.

#6 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:50 AM

I have also use small whole red worms to feed Greensides and Rainbows. They get hold and don't let go till all of the worm is gone.

Bill F.

none of my darters like the mysis shrimp or brine...they all prefer blackworms and bloodworms...so far

#7 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:07 AM

mine like grindal worms and white worms too.

#8 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:28 PM

Mine don't particularly care for brine shrimp. They'll taste and spit back out.

I like to give them live scuds every so often, they go crazy when scuds hit the water.

#9 Guest_smilingfrog_*

Guest_smilingfrog_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:05 AM

I've been giving mine carp eggs every now and then for a little variety. I caught one earlier this spring and she had nearly a pound of eggs in her. I saved them and froze them in a couple of ziplock bags. The darters and everything else seem to really like them. They are a bit messy though so I try not to feed them too often. I also use diced frozen shrimp from the grocery store. Apparently not as tasty as bloodworms or fish eggs, but they do eat them.
One thing to mention with the fish eggs though, they absorb water and expand so should be soaked for awhile before you feed them to your fish. I just soaked them for about an hour before bagging them up and freezing them.

#10 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:34 AM

My darters will not turn down anything. I alternate feeding mine Bloodworms, Glassworms, Brine Shrimp(live), Beefheart, Spirulina Brine Shrimp (frozen), Emerald Entrée (the daces love this stuff) and Freshwater Frenzy. I also dig up earthworms from time to time and cut them up into small pieces for them and collect Scud when I go to the creek. One time I found a tiny millipede and cut it up and they loved it. I haven't found any of my shiners or darters to be very picky eaters.

Most of the items I feed mine are found here & your LFS.
http://www.sfbb.com/frozen.asp#

#11 Guest_Amazon_*

Guest_Amazon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:07 AM

I dont even buy food for my darters. When im collecting I get tons of little aquatic insects to feed them. But when im home all I do is go dig up those little tiny earthworms and my darters love them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users