Warmouth spawning questions

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_Warmouth19_*

Guest_Warmouth19_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:58 PM

i went there friday the lake is like 98% private. the boat ramp is so small i didnt catch anything.

#22 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:36 PM

There are definitely warmouth there, they like to hide near thick vegetation. Try using a small feather or hair jig tipped with worms or magots really close to the docks or any cracks in the wall by the ramp. I have caught them along the wall where the docks are by the boat ramp. If you continue to have trouble catching one let me know I should have some for sale later this summer.

#23 Guest_Warmouth19_*

Guest_Warmouth19_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2009 - 07:48 PM

ok thanks,when i went there was a ditch i saw do you think there is some in there i really dont wanna catch one with a hook i have seining net i use.

#24 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:38 AM

Back to the mystery eggs in the tank with the warmouth and pickerel. Could have been pickerel eggs. A friend of mine has his spawn most years from March through early June. They scatter good sized eggs all over the tank. A lone female may expell the eggs instead of reabsorbing them. The goldfish if large enough could be doing the same thing.

#25 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:51 AM

This will have to remain a mystery. A batch of feeders gave my fish a nasty case of ich. I found the warmouth dead the night after I added the feeders, and two days later the pickerel died despite treatment with salt and heat. Now I'm bleaching everything that was in the tank except the big comet, who is of course hardly affected.

#26 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:40 PM

This will have to remain a mystery. A batch of feeders gave my fish a nasty case of ich. I found the warmouth dead the night after I added the feeders, and two days later the pickerel died despite treatment with salt and heat. Now I'm bleaching everything that was in the tank except the big comet, who is of course hardly affected.

Deaths too rapid to be from case of ich introduced by minnows. More plausible possibilities include warmouth choking on minnow or too many minnows introduced / dying in tank degrading water quality. Time frame even too short for more agressive bacterial infections.

#27 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:59 PM

The fish had numerous white growths on it when I found it, so I assumed that was the cause of death. However, several of the feeders were also dead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users