8 foot long stream tank under construction

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 12:38 AM

A guy I know builds similar tanks. He uses this stuff, now I forget the name, on the last couple. It has a fiberglass sheet bonded right to the plywood. You can order it in black! But standard is white. You can also order a color called almond.

I used the white to build some reptile pens, and it worked really well. I built these as practice to build some aquariums, since I had some big pieces of 3/4 inch glass given to me. The white is nice for the reptile pens since it reflects light and is easy to clean - easy to see when its dirty. Black would have to be used though in an aquarium, black backgrounds painted on glass aquariums are really nice.

The reptile pens I use double pain windows given to me, so I cannot test if they would hold water. Well, the bottom is a huge plastic tub, so that would not hold either.

I am holding off, which is easy to procrastinate anyways O:) , until I see enough of these made to feel like I could do it and not have to come home a few days later and be wet vaccing the fish room for three hours.

#22 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 09:31 PM

Any new pics?

#23 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:08 PM

Updates

Tank.

Tank with refugium on left.

Refugium.

Pond.

Attached Files

#24 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2006 - 05:30 PM

MAN!! you have some great toys!!

#25 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2006 - 06:06 PM

Is that a refugium or a reverse photosynthesis device?

http://saltaquarium..../a/aa041400.htm

#26 Guest_fisgokie_*

Guest_fisgokie_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2006 - 01:11 AM

how do you make one of those pumps for that pond? and your refugium is going to house what?

#27 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2006 - 10:51 AM

Is that a refugium or a reverse photosynthesis device?

http://saltaquarium..../a/aa041400.htm

Well, I suppose it is both, as I plan to use it in conjunction with the primary filter, and stock it heavily with hornwort. But I also intend to use it to colonize amphiopods, and grass shrimp with hopes that many will get sucked through the system, and provide live food.

how do you make one of those pumps for that pond? and your refugium is going to house what?

The filter on the pond is nothing more than a suspended 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled in the bottom. The bucket is filled with lava rock, and filter floss. There is a spraybar made out of 3/4 inch PVC spreading out the flow above the bucket. This is tied into a 1200 gph pump via 3/4 inch dishwasher hose. It is very cheap, and very effective.

The refugium shall house grass shrimp, amphiopods, and hornwort. Likely it will also hold some fish, not sure what yet.

#28 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2006 - 11:56 AM

The refugium shall house grass shrimp, amphiopods, and hornwort. Likely it will also hold some fish, not sure what yet.

You should breed pygmy sunfish in there so you can provide them year round. I know everybody is always looking for them and nobody can ever get them especially in the winter!

Chad

#29 Guest_fisgokie_*

Guest_fisgokie_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:33 PM

my wife says i dont know the purpose of a fish tank in the freakin garage. we are all nuts!

#30 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:55 PM

my wife says i dont know the purpose of a fish tank in the freakin garage. we are all nuts!

My wife is a very understanding woman. She has to be.

You should see the garage in April, when my son gets his chicks. He raises a couple hundred meat chickens to sell every year. For the first three weeks they live in big round tubs in the garage, with heat lamps above them keeping them warm. Needless to say, my wife prefers the fish.

#31 Guest_zygoat23_*

Guest_zygoat23_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:50 PM

I am sure your wife prefers neither.

#32 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2007 - 11:59 AM

MISTAKE! four 3/4 inch overflows do not keep up with 1200 GPH. I am adding an additional 1-1/2 overflow.
The good news is that it holds water!

#33 Guest_fisgokie_*

Guest_fisgokie_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2007 - 03:00 PM

show somes pics with water in it bro!

#34 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2007 - 09:00 PM

Getting real close, starting to look like darter habitat! 5000 gph. The lighting is not in place yet, so I had to shine a 500 watt halogen on the tank, so the pics are not the best, but you can get an idea.

In the last photo, on the left and right side there are rocks sticking up, behind each is a modified maxijet powerhead. http://www.mjmods.com/ These are very impressive, move a ton of water.

Attached Files

#35 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

Guest_troutperch beeman_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:31 AM

That is one awesome tank. Beautiful! I want one..... what do you have in it? =D> =D> =D>

#36 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:12 AM

That is one awesome tank. Beautiful! I want one..... what do you have in it? =D> =D> =D>

Thanks! actually the only fish in it are SRBD, and Silver shiners, which are really being used as miners canaries, to be sure there are no residual toxins left, and to start building up a bacteria culture. Valuable fish will be added in a couple of weeks.

#37 Guest_zygoat23_*

Guest_zygoat23_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:36 PM

When you coming to help me with mine ? I got 20 gallons of epoxy just waiting.

#38 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:38 PM

When you coming to help me with mine ? I got 20 gallons of epoxy just waiting.

I don't know if you have enough beer for that! :)

#39 Guest_fisgokie_*

Guest_fisgokie_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:01 PM

can you tell me the names of the stuff you used and all the materials?

#40 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:41 PM

can you tell me the names of the stuff you used and all the materials?

Look at post #13 in this thread. He lists all the materials he used.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users