Little River, TN Snorkeling

22 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2009 - 01:20 PM

My first snorkeling experience was good. But when you snorkel in Pigeon Forge, you tend to draw a crowd. Also, I look forward to snorkeling the Cumberland River because the Little and Little Pigeon were COLD!!!!

#22 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2009 - 06:40 PM

A few observations without derailing...yes it is cold...it is (probably) trout water and you are just coming out of the Blue Ridge mountains. For your further snorkeling enjoyment you'll want to invest in at least a 3 mm wet suit for any long durations of time 5 mm for 5+ hours. Used ones will work fine. I also suggest a 3 mm hood. You lose a ton of body heat from your head and just that little bit of neoprene will extend your day. $20 mask and snorkels from any big box store will not do. Go to an online dive store or a local shop and but a good snorkel mask if you want to spend less or a full view scuba mask and a snorkel with a decent purge. Splash/wave gaurd is not necessary. The Cumberland, downstream of Wolf Dam is hypolimnetic (COLD!) for quite a long way. There is a reason why there are big striped bass and brown trout in that section. You'll need to stay above that, and it sounds like from your previous posts you do, to have any natural temperature regime. I imagine you were getting odd looks because you were in or very near trout waters coming up on the peak of tourist season.

#23 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 03:33 PM

Your 100% right Matt. I found out really quick that a cheap mask/snorkel set will not work in river conditions. If memory serves correctly, the Upper Cumberland in S.E. KY warms up alright. It still flows out of the mountains, but I believe it is warmer than those areas in the Blue Ridge. Also, I know the waters here in Central KY are warm in the summer. I may snorkel in the Big South Fork if I get the chance this year.

Anyways, sorry for hijacking this thread. Lets see some more pics!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users