longnose suckers and chubsuckers

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:32 AM

I heard alot of info on how hard it is to keep white suckers. But my area has two other sucker species. The white sucker and the creek chubsucker. How easy is it to keep these in captivity?

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:57 AM

I have had fairly long term (not the lifetime of the fish) success keeping chubsuckers for up to about two years so far. I have kept mine in two different incarnations of a 75g tank that I have (high tech, low flow heavily planted swamp tank and a "Todd Crail Style" stream tank, planted with Vallisneria and flow partitioned). My chubsuckers have perhaps not thrived (probably due to food competition) but done pretty well on a diet of Hikari pellets, flake food, and frozen bloodworms/brine shrimp/mysis shrimp. I'm not actually sure which of these they are eating, although I think they ingest a lot of mulm and algae off the plants as well. They hang out in the slackwater areas of the tank and swim along lazily, grazing and picking at food particles, mostly above the substrate. Getting enough food for them has been the only problem I've had (besides losing my first batch when I moved the tank) but that could probably be mitigated in a less competitive tank.

#3 Guest_wvairman_*

Guest_wvairman_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:46 PM

I heard alot of info on how hard it is to keep white suckers. But my area has two other sucker species. The white sucker and the creek chubsucker. How easy is it to keep these in captivity?

I have had a White sucker for several years, first in an aquarium and now in an outside pond. I haven't had any problems at all in fact he now mimics the other fish and feeds off the top on flakes and floating pellets. I would like to add some Quillback Carpsuckers to the pond but I have never caught one before though.

Edited by wvairman, 29 June 2009 - 11:52 PM.

#4 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 June 2009 - 03:18 PM

I was told that the creek chubsuckers make nice aquarium fish.

#5 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 02:01 AM

Historically, I have had trouble with White Suckers. Generally, for me, they don't acclimate to tank life well. Not eating is usually the biggest problem I have with them. That being said, I currently have one small White Sucker that I've had for a number of months now. He schools with the other minnows and eats flake food (I think), and live blackworms. He's actually doing quite well!

Brian

#6 Guest_wvairman_*

Guest_wvairman_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 04:38 AM

Historically, I have had trouble with White Suckers. Generally, for me, they don't acclimate to tank life well. Not eating is usually the biggest problem I have with them. That being said, I currently have one small White Sucker that I've had for a number of months now. He schools with the other minnows and eats flake food (I think), and live blackworms. He's actually doing quite well!

Brian

That sounds similar to the one I have.

#7 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 06:26 PM

That sounds similar to the one I have.

Awesome!

Brian

Brian J. Torreano - Owner
BTDarters
American Native Fish for
your aquarium...and more!
Web: http://www.btdarters.com
Email: bt@btdarters.com
Phone: (262) 268-7489

#8 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 08:21 PM

I've had trouble with chubsuckers myself. Some have succeeded but many have failed. I would not consider them even remotely suitable for a beginner.
Longnosed suckers are found in colder, more high quality habitat than the white suckers. That implies to me that they would be more demanding than white suckers. Again, not a good choice starting out. They are protected in Ma.

Edited by mikez, 01 July 2009 - 08:22 PM.

#9 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2009 - 09:11 PM

these fish get huge dont they? so i would say they wouldnt do good in a 55 gallon anyway.

#10 Guest_wvairman_*

Guest_wvairman_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:22 AM

these fish get huge dont they? so i would say they wouldnt do good in a 55 gallon anyway.

White Suckers do get some size to them. 16" to 20". Longnoses are a little bigger but I've never had one.

Edited by wvairman, 02 July 2009 - 08:29 AM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users