sick rock bass?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Warmouth19_*

Guest_Warmouth19_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:14 AM

my rock bass i have had for almost a year have somthing wrong with him.he has something that looks like scars on his fish like something is eating the outside of his face he still eats and swims fine he just lokks like he getting bad scras on his face and there growing.

#2 Guest_Warmouth19_*

Guest_Warmouth19_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2009 - 08:25 PM

heres some pics to look at

#3 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 June 2009 - 06:24 AM

same exact thing happened to my shadow bass after about a year or so, he did not make it

#4 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:31 AM

Maybe it is this maybe it is not: How are the water conditions? Seems to resemble hole in the head disease that some cichlids get. Ammonia and nitrite should be zero, and nitrates can be as high as 50ppm, or is ppb. Whatever the common kits measure for I just remember it went up in inqurements of ten.

Also pH should be near neutral, and if you have access to a TDS meter, measure that and it should be under 500, but better would be under 300.

Something in the water is attacking the fish, either little "critters" or chemical make up. Odds are it is something always present, but one of the things above is out of whack allowing it to proliferate. So far everything I have read about hole in the head has shown its water conditions and that getting water conditions back into the good ranges will stop and even reverse it.

#5 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 10:50 AM

Try some Melafix.

#6 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

I am under the impression that my shadow bass has some type of tumor. The skin and flesh on its head became translucent white almost clear (i could see some of the skull structure) , the skin never broke. The fish began acting strange (on its side at the top until i would poke it then ram into things) It took about 3 weeks from start to finish to kill it.

I don't think that it was hole in the head.

The water in the tank is pretty good
its a 75 gal tank with a drip system and reverse under gravel filter. I am running a eheim 2028 on it. no ammonia or nitrite, nitrate barely registers on a liquid test.

I did have some slime coat issues with a warmouth in the same tank ending about 6 months ago. Changing the charcoal filter monthly instead of bi-monthly appears to have fixed the slime coat issues.

here is a link to that post http://forum.nanfa.o...wtopic=7024&hl=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users