fatheads and algea wafers

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

I got some more fatheads and a couple algea eaters (I know, i know, i shouldn't get more fish yet but i did) and saw something that suprised me.

I put in a couple algea wafers for the algea eaters, i assumed no one else would touch them as most native fish are carnivores. I was wrong. the fatheads not only swarmed them but defended them fiercely. They teamed up on the other fish and chased them away? I assume this means they are omnivorous. Is their any other plant matter fatheads like? is their a way tio safely fead algea eaters in their presence?

#2 Guest_wvairman_*

Guest_wvairman_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2009 - 12:30 AM

I got some more fatheads and a couple algea eaters (I know, i know, i shouldn't get more fish yet but i did) and saw something that suprised me.

I put in a couple algea wafers for the algea eaters, i assumed no one else would touch them as most native fish are carnivores. I was wrong. the fatheads not only swarmed them but defended them fiercely. They teamed up on the other fish and chased them away? I assume this means they are omnivorous. Is their any other plant matter fatheads like? is their a way tio safely fead algea eaters in their presence?

Many are omnivores, how big is your tank? My recommendation is to try and lure the fatheads to the top with flakes on one end then drop a couple of well placed algae wafers as close to the bottom feeders as possible.

Edited by wvairman, 05 July 2009 - 12:46 AM.

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

Yeah, fatheads are omnivores, and in fact graze on algae quite a bit (but not effectively enough to be helpful as algae control). They don't bother plants that I have noticed, but would probably enjoy a slice of cucumber or zucchini, which most algae-eating fish also enjoy. By the way, do you know which kind of algae-eater you have? Siamese algae-eaters, Chinese algae-eaters, and the many kinds of "plecos" are all known by that name.

Like wvairman said, getting the fatheads interested in some other food first is probably the best way to get the algae wafers to their intended recipients.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users