Largemouth bass breeding etc, growth rates.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:25 PM

I had this thought come to me earlier for some reason..

I have a 500 gallon kiddie pool outside, its 10 foot X 6 foot X 2 foot, not filled to the top of course :P . My local pond has a ton of like 8 inch largemouth bass, any idea if I could catch them and let them grow out in there until the end of the summer, if so how big would they get if I fed well? Will they possibly breed in such an environment to provide me with some small bass to raise inside until next year?
Thanks for any help :D

#2 Guest_jdphish_*

Guest_jdphish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:27 AM

I had this thought come to me earlier for some reason..

I have a 500 gallon kiddie pool outside, its 10 foot X 6 foot X 2 foot, not filled to the top of course :P . My local pond has a ton of like 8 inch largemouth bass, any idea if I could catch them and let them grow out in there until the end of the summer, if so how big would they get if I fed well?

I have grown a good many largemouth bass. Kinda hard to say how big they will get, they pretty much require other live fish for food and can be labor or $$ intensive to grow to a large size in captivity. If DO levels are good and other water quality factors are good they will grow rapidly if fed all they can eat. But pretty much figure on 5-10 pounds of forage fish for each pound of growth. I have grown bass to 1.5 lbs in seven months from a fingerling. You will NEED a net or some cover over the pool to keep the bass from jumping out to their death. Trust me. An eight in bass is a quarter to a half lb so I would think it should be easy to attain a 1 lb size. They will spawn at that size, especially if older than a year.

Will they possibly breed in such an environment to provide me with some small bass to raise inside until next year?
Thanks for any help :D

Possibly they will. I would only use one pair or one male and two females in such a small environment. Males are very territorial. I have tried on numerous occasions to get bass to tank spawn. To no avail. So don't be dissapointed. They rarely spawn in the fall. Mostly in the spring. Just one time, maybe two for females. Males will spawn several times but stay with the fry until they leave the area. Also, fry will starve to death if they don't have some small zooplankton for food until they eat bugs and eachother.

Hope that helps some.

#3 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 12:32 AM

Sounds like a bit of a pain, was hoping it would be extremely simple way to get food for my nile monitor but it seems like it would be easier to just catch/fillet more small ones or buy fish for the lizard rather than this method :P
Thank you very much :D

#4 Guest_jdphish_*

Guest_jdphish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2009 - 11:00 PM

Sounds like a bit of a pain, was hoping it would be extremely simple way to get food for my nile monitor but it seems like it would be easier to just catch/fillet more small ones or buy fish for the lizard rather than this method :P
Thank you very much :D

For that purpose you may best feed the bass you catch directly to monitor.

#5 Guest_Lee_*

Guest_Lee_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:13 AM

For that purpose you may best feed the bass you catch directly to monitor.

He is still a little guy, about 20ish inches, but is growing extremely fast, no doubt will be 3-4 feet by the end of the first year, and then I can just toss him whole fish instead of having to fillet lol. Good times!
I got a couple LMB to put in my aquarium to watch them for a bit, apparently they are very interesting when they adapt to aquarium life so we shall see.
Don't worry about needing a bigger tank, when they get large I just feed them to lizard (before people tell me I need a bigger tank lol)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users