Coastal killifish, etc.

21 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

I'll check that one out too, Mike. I generally prefer Peterson's guides, but it never hurts to have a second guide.

Ditto. I feel that I learned nothing the year I used the Audubon guides; they would be good for the archaic Homo sapien or a toddler (the whole point and match up a picture game). A year later I discovered the Peterson's guides (they taught me families, nomenclature, and tons of other information) and for that I am grateful. On the contrary, I am glad I have the majority of the Audubon guides (it never hurts to be able to match a real-life image, like you said Nathan).

Good luck sampling on your vacation, I have heard that Ocracoke Beach is one of the best shelling locations in the United States. One question, is it over-populated? That has always driven me away from beaches in the summertime.

Blake

#22 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:50 PM

Ocracoke is usually not too crowded compared to the more accessible beaches north of Cape Hatteras. It has gotten a lot of attention in the last few years, with various magazines touting it as a top vacation spot, so it has more tourists now than in times past. The village of Ocracoke has a nicer vibe to it than Nag's Head or Kitty Hawk, which are basically just tourist traps; Ocracoke has plenty of tourist stuff too, but still feels more like a fishing village.

I haven't noticed the shells being particularly more abundant or interesting there than elsewhere on the Outer Banks. There are still enough tourists to pick them over pretty quickly, so you'd need to be there just after a big storm pushed some up.

If you can manage it, I suggest going in May or September; it's warm enough to swim without a wetsuit and most of the businesses are open, but the crowds are much smaller.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users