Adventures Of Natureman

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2010 - 02:54 PM

Can't wait to see the rest of your pics from the Little Huron especially. Those bumped really nice.

Always glad to have you out!

Todd

#42 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 June 2010 - 06:18 PM

i meant to ask you what you have for a lens on your camera for your pics as well as what camera? and what do you use to prevent reflections from the sun. i created like this black cardboard board to go around the camera but have yet to try it.

im using a nikon d60 with a nikor micro lens 85mm.

#43 Guest_joshuapope2001_*

Guest_joshuapope2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

amazing photos. thanks for sharing.

#44 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2010 - 10:21 AM

Can't wait to see the rest of your pics from the Little Huron especially. Those bumped really nice.

Man Todd, that was the only one that cleaned up nicely. Being one of the first in the series, I think me poking around over there stirred up sediments.

i meant to ask you what you have for a lens on your camera for your pics as well as what camera? and what do you use to prevent reflections from the sun. i created like this black cardboard board to go around the camera but have yet to try it.

To date, all profile shots are taken with an ancient Sony Cybershot H5 and underwater with an Olympus Stylus 6000. Your camera is far superior to all my hardware combined. I have a piece of plexiglass painted black I fitted around the hood ring of my H5 that prevents reflections nicely.

Shirts came in several weeks ago and they look just as good in the digital graphic as on the shirt. Dennis Bruso did a fantastic job over at East Coast Printers. I can't thank Casper enough for getting this all together and all he's done.

Posted Image

Edited by natureman187, 26 June 2010 - 10:43 AM.

#45 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:16 AM

For whatever reason the urge to travel out of the county to far and foreign places every free moment never initiated this year. Things I normally travel yonder in the state to enjoy, I found right down the road. The next several stories are within Macon County. Practically had the time of my life several paces from the house.

Right in my Backyard
I awoke one morning quite early and decided to plunge into a fish and flower outing. I started my Sunday adventure at Cracker Barrel stuffing my face with French toast before the old folk swarmed the place after church. It was a bit chilly in the forest searching for elusive lady slipper orchids. Yellow star grass, wild stonecrop, mesic barrens, rich woods...had it all but still no slippers. Several peculiar sounds began catching my attention. Amidst my aggravation and reluctance to look up, I had wondered into a mixed flock of migrant birds. What a site for a closet birder, two pairs of Scarlet Tanagers dancing around among the herd of color.

Scarlet Tanager (Piranga olivacea)
4611911183_9f0f91676b_o.jpg

I felt settling for umpteen Showy Orchids was quite all right.

It suddenly got warm in a hurry and off to the stream I went, I mean farm ditch.
Several days prior with the Stream Team, we had captured an E. spectabile with an odd coloration and had no camera for verification. I took special care in releasing him at the transect captured and asked him nicely to stick around.
Two days and two inches of rain later, I was back, with doubts. The water was high but still clear…sucker didn’t move an inch. It appears to be lacking cyanophores. Orangethroats are notorious for being flat lame in the phototank. One in a million mutation, one in a million cooperation...I must have sold myself to the devil that morning.

Orangethroat Darter (Etheostoma spectabile)
Picture+1681.jpg

Picture+1276.jpg

Picture+1624.jpg

Amongst the glow of E. spectabile lurked another common species I don’t see often colored up, E. nigrum . Once in the sandy margins of each riffle, these jittery giants started appearing with abundance in the seine along with their partners in crime looking stuffed and ready to go. I was a bit disheartened with their dainty nature. I unintentionally killed the biggest blackest males. I would drop one in the bucket to find these sooty beefcakes rolled over lifeless a minute later. Apparently being captured during fornication is too much to handle.

Johnny Darter (Etheostoma nigrum)
Male
Picture+1573.jpg

Picture+1566.jpg

Female
Picture+1634.jpg

As soon as I’d stumble around in the ribbon along the grass a bit, I’d start picking up Stonerollers. For being such a drab minnow 11 months of the year, they sure are stunning for 30 days in April.

Central Stoneroller (Campostoma anomalum)
Male
Picture+1308.jpg

Female
Picture+1298.jpg

I struck out on Blackside Darters, but was fortunate to see White Suckers tuberculate.

#46 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:43 AM

That's certainly an unusual orangethroat! Great photo, the pose is perfect!

#47 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:16 PM

Question on the first orangethroat... I can't tell since you photo'd him on a black background... was the parts of the fins that are normally blue "clear" or were they black? Just thinking about the idea of "lacking cyanophores" and then looking at the pelvic and anal fins (and that place on the caudal top and bottom edge) of the "regularly colored" individuals. Was it clear like the cyan was missing or was it black like the cyan was overly saturated or overly dark (like a black panther being just a really dark jaguar). Just thinking out loud... but would be curious to know clear or black?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#48 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

both fish 1 and 2 have black pectoral fins. It almost looks like a progression , first one being that the fins are black (I would assume the over saturated due to the fins visible look to be black, even the ones against the body.) I would guess this guy is a genetic annomilee, but a very very attractive one.

just speakin my 2 cents... doubt it makes any sense as the florida sun is wasting my brain lol.

#49 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:44 PM

That's certainly an unusual orangethroat! Great photo, the pose is perfect!

Thanks Dave! I was lucky to catch him twice.

Question on the first orangethroat... I can't tell since you photo'd him on a black background... was the parts of the fins that are normally blue "clear" or were they black? Just thinking about the idea of "lacking cyanophores" and then looking at the pelvic and anal fins (and that place on the caudal top and bottom edge) of the "regularly colored" individuals. Was it clear like the cyan was missing or was it black like the cyan was overly saturated or overly dark (like a black panther being just a really dark jaguar). Just thinking out loud... but would be curious to know clear or black?

I never thought of it that way Michael. It's very possible. See what you think. The fins aren't clear by any means. I can't pull any blue out of the fish is photoshop. Without thinking or knowing anything about pigmentation, I assumed the blue was replaced with melanin.

Posted Image

#50 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:04 AM

Without thinking or knowing anything about pigmentation, I assumed the blue was replaced with melanin.

I think the black is always there, it's the "background" for the blue. In essence, the blue has only been subtracted.

Are you sure it's the same fish, or are there a couple of them hanging about there? :)

Any way you slice it, yeah, AWESOME.

Todd

#51 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

I never thought of it that way Michael. It's very possible. See what you think. The fins aren't clear by any means.

Wow, he looks even darter in your hand...

Well in some areas I agree with Todd about the black being a background color... for example in the top of the primary dorsal were the color is normally very dark blue (seems an obvious mix of cyan-black to get a dark navy color)... in other areas, like the top and bottom of the caudal, right where it joins the peduncle, the normal color looks to be very light (almost like my local turquoise darters), so seems like it is cyan only and does in fact look clear on the "cyan-less" specimen.

Very interesting fish...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#52 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:15 PM

Lance, do you use any additional lighting in your photos, or is that just bright sunlight? The fish seem to just "pop" with the black background.

#53 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:01 PM

That's the beauty of black!

Blake

#54 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

Lance, do you use any additional lighting in your photos, or is that just bright sunlight? The fish seem to just "pop" with the black background.

Nate, these are all taken with sunlight alone. The majority are done with bright midday sun and probably a bit overexposed. My point and shoot doesn't handle low light well.

There's a fine line between bright light and light so bright it washes everything out. Sunlight is flaky...sometimes it's a back stabber.

Edited by natureman187, 22 July 2010 - 05:53 PM.

#55 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:00 PM

Thanks for the tips!

#56 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the tips!

Anytime Nate! Please ask.

Edited by natureman187, 27 July 2010 - 08:47 PM.

#57 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

One hot muggy May afternoon I decided to grab my fishing gear and travel .3 miles from my house to spend the remainder of the day in childhood stomping ground. On arrival, I soon realized not much had changed in ten years. The trees were larger, along with myself, and my mode of transportation had gained an extra two wheels. With an accelerated early spring, I was worried our mound building friends might have already abandoned their excavating. As I peered over the famed neighborhood white bridge walls, several chub nests were visible clearing my doubts and ensuring this was the right time for proper colors and horns.

4701533247_746b87d829_o.jpg

A previous night, as my fore planning evolved, I once again hit the workbench and assembled swivels, split rings, and blades into something flashy these monsters of the minnow world can’t resist. A split, snap, twist and pop, within several minutes I created a pile lures that hadn’t been in my arsenal for some time, ‘Crick Flickers’ as we call them, the poor man’s Mepps.

I knew what I wanted just not where to find it. It took some time to track down red wigglers in town. These indestructible nasty smelling little worms are far superior to regular night crawlers when it comes to bait stealing shenanigans these massive minnows specialize in. Bait, gear, and lures, I was ready to go. After setting up the newly built larger phototank in the culdesac along the stream, I hopped on in and found the water to be quite chilly. It felt wonderful considering the air was liquid and my back was already approaching a nice shade of red. The entire duration of my stay, the mighty king of the stream kept an ever so watchful eye from his overhanging Ash sapling.

Northern Water Snake (Nerodia sipedon)
4642928523_321c8279cd_o.jpg

Before the main event, I noticed minnows of sort cowering under rocks as I trudged along. After grabbing the seine it made sense, Bluntnose Minnows were protecting nests…

Bluntnose Minnow (Pimephales notatus)
Picture+2732.jpg

With a shallow pool upstream and nice run downstream, there was no need to stray from the mighty white bridge. All the chubs and striped shiners one could ever ask for have been piled atop each other here for years. Under the giant Catalpa I stood while angling my claimed ‘smallies’ all afternoon.

Northern Catalpa (Catalpa speciosa)
4643543140_f13b0f5ba8_o.jpg

One after another gets reeled in and released. Just like the pros, my little spinner would flicker over rock and log to roll giant tuberculate Striped Shiners with their magenta sheens, witness swells from Horneyhead Chubs that came so close to being hooked, and the acrobatics giant Creek Chubs posses once hooked. Each beefy male Luxilus sported their own magnificent coloration, some covered with vivid reds, others pinks, some saturated with scattered dark crescent shaped highlights while others, not so much, all with that broad black stripe directly behind their operculum and tuberclate nape. Each phenotypic variant was just as beautiful in its own right.

4701472121_d9670ee3c0_o.jpg

Striped Shiner (Luxilus chrysocephalus)
Picture+2136.jpg

Picture+2080.jpg

Hornyhead Chub (Nocomis biguttatus)
Male
Picture+2693.jpg

Picture+2697.jpg

Female
Picture+2701.jpg

It soon became overcast. The elegant Catalpa blossoms began shedding all around me as rain droplets became larger. It was nice to linger but was time to go home.

#58 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

Wow, those hornyhead chub are just loaded with black spot grub. Fantastic photos. I'm sure you've mentioned it before, but what camera are you using? I just don't seem to get that detail with my pictures... :-k

#59 Guest_XeevXwm_*

Guest_XeevXwm_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:02 PM

beautiful!

I plan to stop by in ILL the 2nd weekend of August. Do you know where I can catch some Orange spots?

Thank you!

#60 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:33 PM

XX, you only need to post a message once on the Forum, thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users