Adventures Of Natureman

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

Do you know where I can catch some Orange spots?

Umm, maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't the Mississippi downstream of St. Paul or almost any big, slow river in southern Minnesota be easier than driving to Illinois?

#62 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:38 PM

I plan to stop by in ILL the 2nd weekend of August. Do you know where I can catch some Orange spots?

I do however, if you hadn't googled my location yet, my home turf is some 3-4 hours even more south of your intended visit.

There is debate whether those Luxilus in my last post are L. cornutus or L. chrysocephalus since the majority of individuals photographed had surprisingly compressed nape scales compared to those from Missouri and Tennessee.
I id'ed them from INHS distribution. That particular site is the headwaters of a small tributary of a small tributary of the Sangamon River. The habitat's right. Seems crazy but it's possible L. cornutus could be hiding out or hybridized out. Jury's out til I ever find time to pickle a few.
Posted Image

#63 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2010 - 04:26 PM

My vote is L. chrysocephalus. Those scales near the nape don't seem compressed enough to call it L. cornutus. Although, I'll admit these two species are among the hardest for me to separate (plus the drainages I frequent are know hybrid zones).

#64 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:02 PM

My vote is L. chrysocephalus. Those scales near the nape don't seem compressed enough to call it L. cornutus. Although, I'll admit these two species are among the hardest for me to separate (plus the drainages I frequent are know hybrid zones).

You're probably right Nate. Having never held L. cornutus in my hand, the search image isn't there and I'm forced to speculate.

I made a quick stop down the street at a favorite Lepomis honey hole earlier in the summer checking water levels to find Orangespotted Sunfish already bedding. Having merely spent 30 minutes there, no story. Thought I'd share the eye candy I hastily took before returning to work. I guess I'd never seen them in prime conditions before...these glowed. I made intentions to return several weekends in a row but was disappointed by a swelled muddy little stream on every occasion.

Orangespotted Sunfish (Lepomis humilis)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#65 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2010 - 11:02 PM

wow look at the colors on those =P~

#66 Guest_tennfan56_*

Guest_tennfan56_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2010 - 07:33 PM

Damn I want some of these fish. Brian Zimmerman needs to hurry up and get these up for sale :D.

#67 Guest_panfisherteen_*

Guest_panfisherteen_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2010 - 08:28 PM

i think i can spot teeth in the mouth of the 2nd Orangespotted

#68 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:28 AM

With recent daily showers crimping my style, I was forced to run from streams instead of spending the day in them. It rained some two inches daily. My beloved stream fauna was inaccessible for the time being.
There seemed to be two waves of storms daily. The afternoon radar was covered with red polka dots ever so forming and dissipating like flaky relations; isolated severe storms by definition. Being on the pond not far from the house, I could watch these time bombs pass by to the north and south all afternoon with an occasional sprinkle here and there. The probability of one over me was great, just a matter of time. Until that point, I enjoyed giant bluegill on the fly and everything else that lurked in the borrow pit.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bluegill Sunfish (Lepomis macrochirus)
Posted Image

Warmouth Sunfish (Lepomis gulosus)
Posted Image

On several occasion, the liquid air prevailed and forced me to forget the boat and jump in. I snorkeled amongst the pondweed and herds of little bluegill. Those ornery brats found my earlobes funny...I didn’t. One lonely pod of beds remained stuffed up on a shallow shelf. It was difficult to get to but I managed to slip under the giant willow and part the dense emergent stems to spend my remaining available time among giants of bream as they danced and flared and spun. Eight saucers with only 3 attendants were present, one with visible little ones. They didn’t seem to mind me peering from the rim of their nests, even after an embarrassing underwater sneezing fit, the three wise men held their thrones.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
http://www.flickr.co...57624530960172/

When due west became black, it was time to pack up shop and run for cover. No sticking these out. With my head underwater, sometimes I was oblivious until I felt the rumbles of giants. The ice cold rain felt amazing amidst the tropical dew points while scurrying to get everything secured on the trailer. It never failed, quickly the heavens would fall, hail, and sirens.

Edited by natureman187, 17 August 2010 - 09:48 AM.

#69 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:38 AM

By late afternoon, once the hail subsided and the doppler looked somewhat inviting, like a ritual I’d swap ulta light fishing gear for heavy hitters, grab the old man, couple more dozen worms, and head back out. Was a chore getting across town after these events, dodging stranded cars and street rivers. Several occasions water flooded the floorboards of my giant truck and imagine the boat floated the trailer at times but we’d always get to the lake. Like clockwork the Channel Catfish were stuffed up in everything flowing.

4702004676_22f0aede22_o.jpg

4701371123_ce876c134e_o.jpg

Early evening brought wave two of the lightning show and downpour, minus hail and sirens. Massive toads would pass us by hastily trying to find safety from the flashes. I tried saving several from the giant swimming pool with my paddle, the current was moving them right along.

4781776252_c84c9d8b4e_z.jpg

These rains never halted success, just muffled conversation and gave me an extra activity…bailing water.

4701371043_00548d3dfe_o.jpg

4701370863_8921341e46_o.jpg

4701370973_f6b42c5467_o.jpg
http://www.flickr.co...57624530960172/

Nothing massive, just a couple dozen cats in a couple hours every night and a whole lot of fun.
In the Land of Lincoln, it’s always a good time, rain or shine.

Cheers

#70 Guest_Casper_*

Guest_Casper_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hum...
My first attempt to "respond post" did not take.
?
System lock?
Anyway i much enjoy your adventures. You have a neat way of communicating and sharing stories.
I like the shots of your Dad wet and happy with Catfish smiles.
Nice Flicker pics too.
Keep up the good work. I may steal your format one day.
:)

#71 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 02:54 PM

I enjoyed the latest one, Lance. Reminds me of the time we went out catching Ictalurus in feeder creeks after and during the hard summer rains. Keep em' coming! I still think the photo of your dad in the rain should be on the front cover of something.... classic!

Blake

Edited by blakemarkwell, 17 August 2010 - 02:55 PM.

#72 Guest_XeevXwm_*

Guest_XeevXwm_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:16 PM

Thanks Natureman! I did come to Chicago, but didnt have the time to stop by your area. I did google it, but it was too far for us. Thanks though.

#73 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 2010 - 10:26 PM

New Toy
I recently decided to sell my beloved D150 I’ve owned for 7 years and purchased a D300s with what I intended make. To the working man, that appears a noble upgrade, light duty truck for a heavy duty, especially for my line of work. In reality, I’m trading even a truck for a camera body…seems hardly fair.

Posted Image

I finally made the leap to a significant upgrade from my measly point and shoot.
Such a relief in the realm of flowers and scenery. Manual adjustments have been long awaited and long needed.

Posted Image

Fish on the other hand….an epic pain in the ass. If I didn’t enjoy the resolution and color so much, I’d return to my ancient point and shoot. I'm sticking with it, but a piece of equipment this caliber is not needed for depthless portraits.

Sand Shiner (Notropis stramineus)
Posted Image

I even dabbled with grey a bit. Far easier to work with and less to worry about.

Suckermouth Minnow (Phenacobius mirabilis)
Posted Image

But man, I’ll stick with the extra work. Black is nice.

Red Shiner (Cyprinella lutrensis)
Posted Image

I’ve been having fun with it – unrivaled color, continuous focus, 7 fps bursts, movable focal points…..mmmmm awesome.

Oh and the truck’s still for sale…
Posted Image
http://www.flickr.co...57624546790214/

#74 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2010 - 06:42 AM

Nice camera, may it serve you well! Looks like you've been having fun out there, those are some pretty spiffy shots.

Next on my wishlist is a Wacom tablet for editing... have a backlog of photos and not enough time to go back and do clean-up.

#75 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2010 - 09:19 PM

Thanks Dave!
I just googled that and man, that just may work. Keep us updated once you get it. May end up on my wish list as well ;)

#76 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:34 PM

Great photos as always Lance.
Not to trash the previously mentioned tablet but I bought one and tried like heck to make it work for editing.
I found that it didn't really make "selecting" any easier. The pen was a bit small and hard to make the many selections needed when I edit photos. It simply hurt my hand to click the pen and I click lots. The "tap" method wasn't realistic since the thing was so darn sensitive and often gave a me a double tap forcing me to redo lots of work. I blamed myself for the unsettling learning curve and just as I began to have hope that I could make the tablet work, it completely fizzled out and I sought a refund.

The fizzling out part might very well have been a fluke and also please keep in mind that my editing style might be different than others here. I wanted it to work but instead bought a precision gaming mouse and a ginormous gaming pad.

#77 Guest_XeevXwm_*

Guest_XeevXwm_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

curious, can you show a picture of what you are placing your fish in while taking pictures? I plan to head up north this weekend and would like to take some closeup pics of my fish too.

thanks.

#78 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

curious, can you show a picture of what you are placing your fish in while taking pictures? I plan to head up north this weekend and would like to take some closeup pics of my fish too.

thanks.

I don't believe there's a picture of me in action. I thought Uland had a post about his technique, but was unable to locate it via forum search.

This is becoming outdated but the general concept is still the same.
http://silurus.acnat...aging_tips.html

From what I've seen, none of those who do phototank shots have identical setups. It's all trial and error - discovering what quirks and techniques work for you.

#79 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

I don't believe there's a picture of me in action.

There is almost... Casper just took some during the convention...

http://gallery.nanfa...toGang.JPG.html
Your gear is in the extreme forground of this pic...

http://gallery.nanfa...ogPerch.JPG.and this is me hamming it up but also shows the from of your set up...

With these two pics you should be able to descibe the rest pretty well.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#80 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2011 - 07:45 PM

Here's two from MO...

The set up:

Attached File  saddled_sm.jpg   190.7KB   1 downloads

And the pitch:

Attached File  orangethroat_sm.jpg   194.26KB   1 downloads

These are two different fish.

Todd

0 user(s) are reading this topic