light panic

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FirstChAoS_*

Guest_FirstChAoS_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:06 AM

I was recently told to turn off lights in my aquarium to cut down algea growth. This has an unexpected and unpleasant side effect. When i turn the lights back on again all my minnows panic. For a few minutes after the lights go on any movement at all makes the panic worse. I even lost a blacknose dace from this who jumped out (I didn't see it at first when searching for jumpers, later on i found it by some fishing supplies, thought it was a plastic lure at first). I tried turning on all the lights in my room before hand like the pet store guy suggested, but that still didn't stop the panic, what can I do?

Oh an unrelated thing, i finally added a avatar pic, a longnose dace (not mine though).

Edited by FirstChAoS, 31 August 2009 - 03:07 AM.

#2 Guest_gzeiger_*

Guest_gzeiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:51 AM

Try putting the lights on a timer so they can come on without movement in the room.

#3 Guest_jblaylock_*

Guest_jblaylock_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:08 AM

Try putting the lights on a timer so they can come on without movement in the room.

This is a good suggestion. I keep mine on timers and set them according the the sun. My lights come on 30 minutes or so after the sun comes up, that gives the room time to get some light and the fish to adjust. I use the timers throughout the year to mimic the photo-period...or whatever that would be called (the time that the sun is out)

I also suggest MOON LIGHTS, not so much because I think they help the fish, but it looks super cool at night (I use the 'moon white'). Though keeping a little light at night may help, they are used to the moon and street lights and such.

Edited by jblaylock, 31 August 2009 - 07:09 AM.

#4 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:12 AM

hmm thats weird...none of mine panic....i think they are just used to people always being around.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users