Central Tennessee over Labor Day Weekend

54 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:00 PM

I must compliment you on the photos, Todd. I've never seen such color in underwater stream shots. And I don't just mean the fish. Was there any enhancement involved with these? In any case, sa-weet! Really, professional quality!

#22 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:20 PM

Thanks so much Mark :)

Yes, they are edited. Any time you're shooting in a river, you are shooting through sediment that robs you of contrast and hot colors. I correct this in Photoshop with Auto Levels, Curves and Color Balance under the Image/Adjust menu. I think all this functionality is in the ImageReady software, which is much less expensive. I'm still using PS 6.0 lol.

But any image gets about 10 seconds of manipulation, I don't sit and obsess with it for hours to make it perfect. If I had a shot like that one of the blotchsides flaring, yeah, I'll spend more time. Because that one started out totally gray, since it was shot at about 3 feet away.

I'm not sure what the menu commands are in GIMP (which is free). Jeremy was using a program called Light or something like that on a Mac.

Here's how a couple looked in their raw formatting, and kinda gets to the full spectrum of what you get right off the camera...

blotch_gray.jpg

bloodfin_gray.jpg

Todd

#23 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:29 AM

The shot of the burtoni is classic. Were they fairly abundant in the area where you guys were? I really enjoyed all of the underwater shots. I know this has been beaten to do lately, but can you guys tell me what camera you're using?

#24 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:14 AM

Thanks Dustin. I wish it'd been in better focus, but oh well. There was no trouble finding them. Casper's first visit here, he put his head under the water and saw them within moments.

I'm using a pretty specialized rig... I have a Sony HDR-HC3 video camera in an Ikelite housing. These other guys are getting as good, or better shots with Olympus models, I'm not sure which, and at a fraction of the cost. Once we teach each other how to "sediment correct" our images, I think there's gonna be a whole lot of shots that POP on this site :)

The guy we were hanging out with, Jeremy Monroe, runs this site/business http://www.freshwatersillustrated.org/ He's quite interested to help teach the ropes of underwater photography and image correction. I think we ran into him too late for this years Convention, but he'd really like to run a seminar at the next one where we capture images on one of the outings and then come back to the hotel and learn how to manipulate them. We all ran into a gold mine when we bumped into this guy!

Todd

#25 Guest_Uland_*

Guest_Uland_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:44 AM

Great report and photos guys, thanks for posting.

#26 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:49 AM

Here is my contribution from the Labor Day weekend. I am using a Nikon D70s with a 60mm micro f/2.8 lens in an Ikelite housing. All are available light captures.

Blotchside logperch
blotchside01.JPG

Blotchside logperch
blotchside02.JPG

Buffalo darter
buffalo01.JPG

Buffalo darter
buffalo02.JPG

Duck/Saffron darter
duck01.JPG

Elegant madtom
elegant01.JPG

Greenside darter
greenside01.JPG

Northern hogsucker
nhogsucker.JPG

I'm not sure about this guy. Any thoughts?
notsure.JPG

Saffron/duck darter
saffron01.JPG

Scott and his new friend
scottmap.JPG

Baby sculpin, my wedding band is 8mm (5/16") wide
sculpin00.JPG

Sculpin
sculpin01.JPG

Sculpin
sculpin02.JPG

Smallmouth
smallmouth.JPG

Stonerollers
stonerollers01.JPG

Blackspotted topminnow and studfish
topstud.JPG

Todd, I think I have the duck/saffron darters confused. You mentioned a couple of id characters at the restaurant, but I forgot which has the rounded snout and the sloping snout. Like Todd said I have 'shopped these for contrast and clarity. Jeremy uses Lightroom 2.0.
I hope you enjoy the photos. Bryce

#27 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:46 PM

Here is my contribution from the Labor Day weekend. I am using a Nikon D70s with a 60mm micro f/2.8 lens in an Ikelite housing. All are available light captures...

Most excellent! Thanks for sharing!

#28 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:08 PM

Well I'm blown away by the photos and by the editing. Everything came out looking very natural. I didn't actually realize they were edited, I just thought you had wicked clear water. :rolleyes:

#29 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:15 PM

The picture of the baby sculpin is amazing for perspective.

#30 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 04:45 PM

Awesome pics Bryce, now I know you by your online persona! :) Man, I just love those stoneroller shots you and Jeremy have been getting!

The darter of question is a very weakly colored banded darter. I think the others are saffron, definitely the one with blue cheek marks. They do have some coloration on the nose, but they're not nearly as green as the Duck darter.

Yeah, Mike, it's a little different than pulling colors, say, in a reef tank. People are always amazed at how much sediment is carried in "clear" streams, it's a massive amount in any stream. And so what the photo programs do is compensate for the hot colors that get absorbed. You're probably seeing the colors better in these photographs than we even see them while snorkeling. It's just these computer programs are so good at recognizing hue, it catches what we're missing. And thank goodness for that! :)

Todd

#31 Guest_Burbot_*

Guest_Burbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:04 PM

Those darters are beautiful! and those sculpins look crazy cool too! great pictures

#32 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:51 PM

Thank you for the compliments, and Todd thanks for the id's. Spring is going to be a long time getting here.

#33 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

So many fish i have never seen, i just do not have the the words!
the water and river bottom looks so clean, you just do not see water ways around here
like that.may i keep a pic of your topminnow and studfish N-eleutherus Madtom ?
thanks for sharing your trip with us.
tony.

#34 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:30 PM

Sure Tony. Do you want a clean copy?

Bryce, I was looking at the second Buffalo darter, and that's a rainbow (the head shot).

Todd

#35 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:45 PM

Man Bryce, that stone roller shot turned out great.
You guys and that turtle were cracking me up.
Awesome stuff!

#36 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2009 - 10:11 PM

Bryce, I was looking at the second Buffalo darter, and that's a rainbow (the head shot).

Todd

Todd, I'm glad you caught that, when I was posting it I noticed that the shape of the head and color pattern was not quite like the Buffalo, but since most of the fish is hidden I just let it go.

Thanks Lance.

Bryce

#37 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 2009 - 05:06 AM

Todd

Todd, thanks. the low res 72 DPI NET .jpeg posted here is fine with me. i am no longer in the printing industry. its just for my own personal use for a fish type catalog.i was just unsure if your art is Copyrighted.on a side note could you post a thread sometime of the tools used
to get such high quality under water shots.will your video be posted here or on your web url?

#38 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:56 PM

The water here at the campsite had returned to crystal clarity and we were soon immersed and clicking fishy photos and sharing garbled snorkel speak. Many of us were content to stay in one run for an hour or more as the diversity that presented itself was quite spectacular. Multicolored Darters, subtly patterned Shiners, stark banded Sculpins along with shimmering herds of Stonerollers all enjoyed the sunshine streaming in. Longear Sunfish, pretty in the light, promoted themselves while Rock Bass hung back deep in the shadows. Disturbed Madtoms raced to dark crevases as stones were gently turned. Tennessee Shiners in shimmering blue and vermillion finned Redtailed Chubs gathered downstream of our stirring hoping to catch any tiny morsels exposed. The light continued to stream in and the fish flashed brilliant in the sun and clear water and the day was yet early.

Ive spent the last couple days writing an account of the Snorkel Camp but think i will save it for an upcoming issue of American Currents.

That's an excerpt and i will pass the full account on to my fellow attendies before publication so i dont get caught in too many lies.
:)

But here are a few photos captioned below. I clicked about 500 pics but gleaned them down to about 150. Here are 10 or so...

PostAFS09-BSC-Blotchside.JPG

This is my best Blotchside shot. They are common and inquisitve at times, other times nervous and rare.
Protected and listed in Tennessee and a wonderful sight to behold.

PostAFS09-BSC-Crawfish.JPG

One of the many interesting Crayfish we encountered. Nice, crisp markings.

PostAFS09-BSC-Fantail.JPG

A cute little Fantail. Very discreet in their movements.

PostAFS09-BSC-HogSucker.JPG

Another Hogsucker shot. They are easy to take good pics of. They will generally allow you to ease ever closer but one nervous twitch and they are gone.

PostAFS09-BSC-Madtom.JPG

A Madtom, worn weary but my constant pursuit. A nighttime snorkel would be the best time to see them in action.

PostAFS09-BSC-Rainbow.JPG

A nice perching of a common male Rainbow, fully extended.

PostAFS09-BSC-RedHorse.JPG

A Redhorse unsure of my intents. He has heard the fireside stories but only senses a camera now.

PostAFS09-BSC-RedlineF.JPG

Handsome Redline. Is this a washed out exposed male or a well marked female?

PostAFS09-BSC-RockBass.JPG

He is hiding!

PostAFS09-BSC-SculpinEye.JPG

Peekaboo. Ambush predator.

PostAFS09-BSC-Snub.JPG

Another fine perch but someone may want to airbrush his nose. Brighter greens have been seen to the north and in the spring.

PostAFS09-BSC-ToddCamera.JPG

Todd in prime mode operendi.

PostAFS09-BSC-View.JPG

Framed, you keep hoping a fish will move into the perfect position on a composition such as this.

PostAFS09-IC-Banded.JPG

The best Banded though a bit blurry. I found 3 frolicking in the light. Usually they are deep in the greenery with glowing green bands.

PostAFS09-IC-Studfish.JPG

Studfish clear and composed. They seemed to be more cooperative on this outing.

PostAFS09-IC-Scott.JPG

What a fish sees and generally harmless while underwater.

#39 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:47 PM

Magnifico, El Snorkelmeister.

Yes, that handsome darter type fish is a female redline. I really like that sucker picture man. Awesome.

Todd

#40 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:18 PM

There he is in full glory. Glorious shots my friend.
Can't wait to read about in the AC.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users