Warmouth skirmish

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_basssmaster_*

Guest_basssmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:31 PM

Attached File  Male laterel display.JPG   60.56KB   4 downloads

Fish on right lateral displaying to rival male on left..

#2 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:20 PM

Who are the two sunnies above the warring warmouth? Nice males, they have a lot of sparkle on their sides.

#3 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:24 PM

The two sunfish behind interacting males are female warmouth. Basssmaster knows if more outside of shot.

#4 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:48 PM

Also, why is the nesting gravel in a PVC 'cup'? So you can remove the eggs?

Edited by catfish_hunter, 21 September 2009 - 10:48 PM.

#5 Guest_basssmaster_*

Guest_basssmaster_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:20 AM

Also, why is the nesting gravel in a PVC 'cup'? So you can remove the eggs?

The white container is a 5-gallon bucket bottom cut to a height of about 3 inches. Warmouth pushing 5 inches. Yes, we do removes eggs by taking whole nest out. We can replace nest and a male sunfish will spawn in new one within minutes with another or same female.

#6 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:02 AM

What do you raise the fry on? Also, how aggressive do warmouths get in comparision to other sunnie males guarding the nest?

#7 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:43 PM

Warmouth are among the least aggressive sunfish when reproducing.

We raise fry on freshly hatched brine shrimp. Larvae of warmouth more delicate than other sunfishes, therefore we stress the freshly hatched description. Culturing infusoria / rotifers would be an excellent alternative for the first few days followed by a switch to brine shrimp. Success more likely if you attemt only a small number of fry.

#8 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:05 PM

Warmouth are among the least aggressive sunfish when reproducing.

We raise fry on freshly hatched brine shrimp. Larvae of warmouth more delicate than other sunfishes, therefore we stress the freshly hatched description. Culturing infusoria / rotifers would be an excellent alternative for the first few days followed by a switch to brine shrimp. Success more likely if you attemt only a small number of fry.

Say I had green sunfish fry, what would they like to eat? Brine shrimp newly hatched?

#9 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:19 PM

your warmouth remind me of the ones i catch occasionally around here, they are mainly black and have gold flecks. They seem to be sparse, I usually catch them bass fishing by accident

#10 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

Say I had green sunfish fry, what would they like to eat? Brine shrimp newly hatched?

Yes, they are easier to raise on brine shrimp than warmouth. For us, green sunfish among the easiest sunfishes to raise, despite relatively small size at hatch.

#11 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2009 - 08:54 PM

your warmouth remind me of the ones i catch occasionally around here, they are mainly black and have gold flecks. They seem to be sparse, I usually catch them bass fishing by accident

The warmouth of picture above lacking yellows and reds typical to warmouth reared in wild or on more complete diets. Need to see picture but I suspect you catching the same species.

#12 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:16 AM

found a picture

Posted Image

this was taken in the mid 60's by my father

this fish is a typical sample for this area

I have a warmouth in a 75 gal tank it is very green, some one gave it to me, i think it came from Virginia

#13 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:05 AM

Warmouth in photograph above. Generally, green is not a color warmouth can assume despite being able to do a range of browns, grays, and yellows with considerable speed. Need to see picture of what is in your tank, may be a green sunfish. Body shape of warmouth and green sunfish very similar.

#14 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:15 AM

That fish has a red gill cover tab, which is what I shall call it due to the fact I forgot the more :mrgreen: technical term...

#15 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:31 AM

That fish has a red gill cover tab, which is what I shall call it due to the fact I forgot the more :mrgreen: technical term...

Many male warmouth have red on the flexible margin.

#16 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:46 PM

here is a picture of warmouth in my tank

Posted Image

he/she was having some slime coat issues at the time that is what the white stuff is

#17 Guest_catfish_hunter_*

Guest_catfish_hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:05 PM

I like your warmouth's eyes, remind me of my green sunfish and my smallmouth bass. What does it eat and how big is it?

#18 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:08 PM

I like your warmouth's eyes, remind me of my green sunfish and my smallmouth bass. What does it eat and how big is it?

its about 9" right now

i feed it hikari gold pellets as a staple,
also live baby convicts, frozen blood worms, freeze dried shrimp, live baby crawfish, and hbh super soft pellets

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users