My NANFA Convention 2009 Trip

69 replies to this topic

#61 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:21 PM

Thats good to hear Bruce, those Bluesides seem to be one of the first to color up and wow are they BLUE, like metallic foil. Still way too cold for Casper.

Nate, i shared your and Brian's journal adventure with the family and they enjoyed the pictures. Excellent photography work and a fine adventure told and shared.

That top site is the "Snorkel Hole" where the folks with the Cherokee National Forest offer snorkel outings as a public outreach tool. Ive helped Jim a few times on that and its a lot of fun to see first timers excitedly talking about the fish they have seen, the colors, the behaviors. Its also interesting how at different sites one encounters different species and quanities. Hiking a couple miles downstream opens up a whole new world.

Not to make fear but one should stay aware of bears in these parts. Cubs, hungry old bad tempered bears, camp food left out as a temptation might make for a negative encounter. The public have had a couple bad incidents in the last few years, including deaths and maulings.

I would urge anyone inclined to visit the Conasauga for a wonderful snorkeling experience. The summer is ideal and one can often bare skin it. Be careful with a seine tho as some areas are monitored by Rangers and the waters offer many protected species. Its free to get below and look and very fullfilling. A fine activity on a sweltering hot day.

Nate & Brian make for a good accounting. Thanks!

#62 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:21 PM

Ok here are my photos from the snorkel hole. We were tempted to snorkel despite the cold air and rather cool water as well but being tired and the cool stopped us. I don't have anything from the Little it was just too dark by the time we were done.

Attached Images

• DSC_0678.jpg
  • adult Redeye Bass3 Conasauga River TN 5OCT09 by BZ.jpg
  • adult Redeye Bass4 Conasauga River TN 5OCT09 by BZ.jpg
  • adult Redeye Bass5 Conasauga River TN 5OCT09 by BZ.jpg
  • adult Redeye Bass6 Conasauga River TN 5OCT09 by BZ.jpg
  • adult Redeye Bass7 Conasauga River TN 5OCT09 by BZ.jpg
  • DSC_0666.jpg
  • DSC_0667.jpg
  • DSC_0669.jpg
  • DSC_0671.jpg
  • DSC_0717.jpg
  • DSC_0682.jpg
  • DSC_0686.jpg
  • DSC_0688.jpg
  • DSC_0690.jpg
  • DSC_0695.jpg
  • DSC_0697.jpg
  • DSC_0707.jpg
  • DSC_0713.jpg
  • DSC_0716.jpg
  • DSC_0735.jpg
  • DSC_0720.jpg
  • DSC_0724.jpg
  • DSC_0726.jpg
  • DSC_0728.jpg
  • DSC_0730.jpg

#63 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:37 AM

We were out seining in the upper Paint Rock River system in NE Alabama today, and found lots of darters coming in to color. In particular we found bluesides that really were bluesided. I always forget how intensely turquoise they are.

I am jealous that you get to observe these fish in (or at least nearly in) peak condition. Sounds like they'd be a sight. Having ample open water to sample must be nice too. That's one of the reasons I plan on moving south after I graduate.

...Nate, i shared your and Brian's journal adventure with the family and they enjoyed the pictures. Excellent photography work and a fine adventure told and shared.

That top site is the "Snorkel Hole" where the folks with the Cherokee National Forest offer snorkel outings as a public outreach tool. Ive helped Jim a few times on that and its a lot of fun to see first timers excitedly talking about the fish they have seen, the colors, the behaviors. Its also interesting how at different sites one encounters different species and quanities. Hiking a couple miles downstream opens up a whole new world...

I'm glad that you and your family have enjoyed the photo and written account of the trip Brian and I went on. Sharing the story with you is the absolute least we could do to thank you for the directions to the site. It looks like Brian did quite a bit more traveling downstream during my "nap" and took some great photos. It appears that the waters calm a bit as you head downstream. Perhaps the water was high from the recent rain, but the riffles where I was wading were a bit strong to warrant safe walking (let alone snorkeling). I'm sure it sounds like blasphemy, but I've never snorkeled in a stream before! Northwestern Ohio, for the most part, has streams too turbid to allow for much fish viewing. I've got to travel more!

#64 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 01:59 PM

We'll work on that this summer, Nate :)

#65 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2010 - 06:53 PM

Great pictures and report! Thanks for sharing, Nate and Brian. I've enjoyed reading this immensely.

#66 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:06 PM

We'll work on that this summer, Nate :)

I look forward to it...no ditches!

Great pictures and report! Thanks for sharing, Nate and Brian. I've enjoyed reading this immensely.

I am glad that you enjoyed it. Now go on the 2010 trip!

#67 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:26 PM

I am glad that you enjoyed it. Now go on the 2010 trip!

Nevada is a little too far for me right now. Maybe next year. I do have a trip or two planned out of state this spring. :smile2:

#68 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:04 AM

Nice pics and descriptions, guys! Thanks for sharing! I'm jealous!

Brian

#69 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:08 PM

Nevada is a little too far for me right now. Maybe next year. I do have a trip or two planned out of state this spring. :smile2:

Awesome, Susan! Make sure that camera comes along and shows us all what we're missing. Would I be right if I thought you were headed back to Kentucky in the spring?

Nice pics and descriptions, guys! Thanks for sharing! I'm jealous!

Brian

I'm glad you enjoyed the trip report. I look forward to reading the descriptions of some of the other sites and things I may have missed at the convention in the upcoming American Currents.

#70 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 January 2010 - 09:39 PM

Awesome, Susan! Make sure that camera comes along and shows us all what we're missing. Would I be right if I thought you were headed back to Kentucky in the spring?

Yep. I'm going a little later this year since I got snowed on last spring!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users