Updates on my American Eel

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:47 PM

Dropped a crayfish in there. I was slowly placing it in front of him and he raised his head so I just gently lowered it right in front of him. His nose touched it, and he did shake his head oddly a few times, and eventually retreated. A few seconds later he popped his head out again and the cray is still nearby(the claws are removed).

#42 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2010 - 10:01 PM

Looking at the set up now I think your best bet would be a sponge filter. It is cheap, and would give you both mechanical and biological filtration. You can get an air driven one for cheap and IMO they are just as if not more effective as more expensive types. If you are lucky you can find someone cool to let you use an established one.

#43 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:01 PM

Looking at the set up now I think your best bet would be a sponge filter. It is cheap, and would give you both mechanical and biological filtration. You can get an air driven one for cheap and IMO they are just as if not more effective as more expensive types. If you are lucky you can find someone cool to let you use an established one.

I actually might know somebody who may have a sponge filter...but I'm not too worried right now since I already have a nice filter running.

The crayfish was sitting on Eli's head, so I decided to remove it before anything bad happened(I've had bad experiences mixing fish and crays in the past). So instead I thawed out some bloodworms and dropped them in. As they were falling, Eli raised his head to catch a whiff(they're practically blind aren't they?) but then just layed down and sat there. This morning I noticed they were all gone. I have suspiscions that the goldfish may have picked them up, but I really doubt that it could possibly have eaten them all, but he doesn't look really fat considering that there were alot of bloodworms.

Anybody have a video camera they'd be willing to lend to me? :rolleyes:

#44 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 February 2010 - 01:23 AM

I missed the filter. What do you ave set up? Is it a biological filter (in addition to mech/chem/etc)?

#45 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:43 AM

I missed the filter. What do you ave set up? Is it a biological filter (in addition to mech/chem/etc)?

I have a Whisper 20i. I believe it's both mechanical and biological filtration based on descriptions I just read.

HE FINALLY ATE :D/

Dropped a night crawler right in front of him and at first he tried nudging it away, then finally sucked it up....I waited with so much suspense expecting him to spit it out....then he shook his head up and down and nothing came out.....what a great day already. That goldfish's days are numbered now....muahahaha :twisted:

Oh yea...it also looks like he's shedding his slime coat since it got some sand on it....does this sound normal? Basically his head has some sand on it and one spot is normal colored and clean....clearly looks like a piece came off.

Here's a pic:

Posted Image

Edited by SunnyRollins, 05 February 2010 - 03:06 AM.

#46 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:19 AM

That funky "shed" patch is gone...you don't think he lost his coat due to stress do you? I think it looked more like he rubbed his head and it just came off.

#47 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:52 PM

He's gonna die...

#48 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2010 - 02:20 AM

He's gonna die...

Irate is right. Might not happen for years but he is right. lol. I think it is fine. Give it more time. Eel probably been through a lot.

#49 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:35 AM

Irate is right. Might not happen for years but he is right. lol. I think it is fine. Give it more time. Eel probably been through a lot.

I heard the record is 88 for a European eel. I would like to beat that lol.

#50 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 February 2010 - 10:49 PM

I heard the record is 88 for a European eel. I would like to beat that lol.

Well good news everyone, today he took nightcrawlers from my tweezers!

#51 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2010 - 04:09 PM

Well good news everyone, today he took nightcrawlers from my tweezers!

And this morning he took food from my fingers! And I bought Eli one month ago today! Not the greatest update, but it's something lol

#52 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:09 AM

If anybody cares, I am currently waiting for him to come out and feed for the camera. Hopefully a video will be on the way soon.

#53 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:27 PM

Any updates or new pics?

#54 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:18 PM

Any updates or new pics?

Well I posted photos of him in the photo gallery. Those are the last photos I took of him.

He's starting to knock the filter off the wall! He did it for a second time yesterday!

Let's see...he doesn't seem interested in nightcrawlers lately. I think it's because I've offered shrimp and goldfish lately. Last he ate was Friday. They were nice sized goldfish, so maybe he's still digesting them. The worms I offered yesterday are still there, but I think I'll leave them for one more day before taking them out. I'm sure it's simply because he's developing preferences now, because he enthusiastically went after those fish.

#55 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:46 PM

Well it's spring break, so Eli had to come home for the week. My dad had to paint the room, so the top is covered until the paint dries.

What a GREAT update huh!!!????!!!

#56 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:45 AM

GOOD NEWS!

I found a GREAT deal on a 55 gallon tank on craigslist(If you saw in my introduction thread introducing myself, I said I was getting a 55 from a friend, but that fell through because he hasn't responded to me in months). It initially looked set up for a reptile, so I asked the seller if it holds water. He responded and says it does. Once my 3 tests and presentation are done in early April, I plan to get this tank. *knocks on wood*

I ran out of nightcrawlers, so until I'm able to buy some(I'm home for break, and don't know of any baitshops nearby) I've been experimenting a little with some foods. I offered freeze-dried bloodworms two days ago, and it seems he had no interest. This is probably because he hasn't been offered any bloodworms in awhile, so it will probably take some time before he gets around to eating them. I found an old container of aquatic salamander sinking pellets and offered a few to him. I'll keep you updated on that(it has krill, fish, and squid in the ingredients, so figured it'd be OK to offer).

I know one shouldn't anthropomorphize their fish too much, but it does seem like he was frowning today. When the lights go on, he does shut his mouth and appears to hold his breath for a bit before resuming breathing, so maybe it's from keeping the mouth shut that it looks like this, or is it possible that he's already stunting from being a 17 inch fish in a 20 gallon long?

I've been thinking about the necessity of space for an American eel, whether they like being somewhat "cramped" or not. As I'm sure you guys are aware from your personal experiences with them, they're really flexible and enjoy small nooks and crannys and really cramped spaces for hiding. I've even seen my eel sometimes coil up under the filter(it's a whisper 20i, and my 17 inch fish somehow can tuck his whole body underneath!). It's made me wonder if a 20 gallon long is enough for, say, a 2 foot male(or a 55 gallon for a 4 foot female), or if it would have develop effects of too small a tank, like a hunched back or something. I don't mean to sound like some cheapskate looking for the cheapest way to keep Eli; it's just a thought that has passed my mind probably because I've kept snakes for much longer and these guys share many similarities with snakes. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

#57 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:38 PM

Can't elaborate right now. Really in to a movie but I seen this was posted a while back and got no responses. Wanted you to know I read it and will get back to you on it or maybe the bump will generate a response.

#58 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:45 PM

Can't elaborate right now. Really in to a movie but I seen this was posted a while back and got no responses. Wanted you to know I read it and will get back to you on it or maybe the bump will generate a response.

It's cool man don't sweat it.

It stinks right now. He's staying at home right now because I'm going back home this coming weekend. I think he will be coming back to shcool with me, but we'll have to see if my parents got attached to him or not lol.

#59 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:40 PM

Try feeding him crayfish, especially those getting ready to molt. That should stimulate appetite and enable weight gain.

#60 Guest_SunnyRollins_*

Guest_SunnyRollins_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2010 - 02:45 PM

Try feeding him crayfish, especially those getting ready to molt. That should stimulate appetite and enable weight gain.

Well his appetite was stimulated long ago lol. I might try getting him some crayfish soon since it's warming up now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users