Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:29 AM

MY yellow perch won't feed on anything that isn't any of the following:

bloodworms
earthworms
live or dead anthropds, except unthawed krill for some reason
dead fish
live fish
sun-dried shrimp

I am going to try and get him feeding on pellets by soaking the pellets in salmon meat juice and then offering them to him. Any other good ideas?

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:19 AM

Have you tried frozen beefheart or frozen silversides from San Fransico Bay company?

#3 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 February 2010 - 06:25 AM

Never knew a perch yet that couldn't be convinced to taste anything, even a piece of plastic and metal, if it could be made to look lively. Put a piece of somethin on a broom straw or heavy piece of fishing line [no hook!] and wiggle it. He'll bite, especially if you let 'em get hungry first.

Perch are very social and intelligent. They learn from others. Put them with somebody that eats pellets, they're gonna at least taste them. Also, keep them in a group, there's always one bolder than the others. Once he starts eating something, the others will follow.

Of course the list of food you give them now is a very satisfactory and varied diet.

Edited by mikez, 11 February 2010 - 06:26 AM.

#4 Guest_Snookman_*

Guest_Snookman_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:39 PM

My perch is the very same way. I put pellets in my tank every time I feed for other occupants and the perch has tasted them on numerous occasions but spitting them out every time. I once went 2 1/2 weeks feeding nothing but pellets. He chose to starve in lieu of pellets so I picked back up feeding freeze dried krill, earthworms, bloodworms, and the occasional live ghost shrimps.

Justin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users