Common Sucker has to go

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:37 PM

Even though my tank is a 75 gallon there is a shortage of space for my buddy, the sucker fish. He is about 7 inches now and with the heavy planting there isn't too many spaces for him to rest. I can tell it is aggravating for him.

Option 1 is euthanizing which isn't really an option. He is healthy, I raised him from a pup so to speak and just can't do it.

Option 2 is my step mother has a backyard koi pond. I can put him in there but have a concern. That would be his lack of food choices. She feeds the koi pellets I suppose. I haven't asked her yet. But assuming she does he isn't fond of pellets. Wafers will do if he hasn't eaten in days/weeks. Would nature introduce a natural food source in her pond? Do water bound insects find their way to backyard ponds? It is not near a creek or any other natural body of water. I don't want to put him in there to starve him to death.

Option 3 is find someone on here that may want him.

option 4 is check with LFS that sell pond fish that may it but again I have to worry about him being fed.

Edited by lozgod, 13 March 2010 - 09:40 PM.

#2 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:44 PM

http://forum.nanfa.o...or-a-good-home/

if anyone is interested I posted a thread in the trading dock forum.

#3 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:15 AM

It's always good to figure out what to do with large fish before they outgrow their homes, not after.

In my eyes, that fish's got BAIT written all over it. :twisted:

Not intended as :fishy:
I call's em as I sees em.

#4 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:39 PM

I keep creekchubsuckers in rubber lined ponds with my sunfish and they do just fine. I would say that the koi pond is probably the best option. Many insect larvae and other inverts find their way into my rubber lined ponds all the time.

#5 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:54 PM

Pretty sure an LFS in Maryland could not take your fish if wild-collected for resale.

#6 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:47 AM

I'd guess the sucker would probably do just fine in that koi pond, as long as it's more than just a bare plastic/concrete enclosure. Any outdoor pond/tank tends to supply a lot more natural food than you'd expect. If it's possible to recapture, maybe put him in for a month or so and then just see how he's doing.

#7 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:53 PM

I suppose you could approach your local middle school science teacher - don't a lot of schools have tanks? They may be interested and you might be able to spark some interest from the next generation of fishophiles.

#8 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:16 AM

Well, I've rearranged plants and made more room. Seems content for now. Koi pond is the decision should it not work out. Kind of attached to the sucker.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users