Minnows for my pond

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_joshuapope2001_*

Guest_joshuapope2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 02:16 PM

I am looking into keeping minnows in my decorative pond. The pond is about 1000 gallons and is 4 feed deep. I am hoping to breed the minnows in the pond and use them as a feeding tool from time to time. I am in the Lansing Michigan so I would need something that can winter over in the pond. Any Suggestions?

#2 Guest_donkeyman876_*

Guest_donkeyman876_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 05:23 PM

How about Central Mudminnows, they are very tolerant of low-oxygen and can last the winter.

#3 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:46 PM

True mudminnows would survive well but I think he is looking for an actual Cyprinid species not mudminnows. In your area I would look into spotfin shiners, redfin shiners and Northern redbelly dace. I think these would all be native in your area and would reproduce in a pond. Each of these actually look rather nice too. If you strictly want them as feeders and want to pump out the numbers go with a Pimephales sp. like bluntnose or fathead minnows and add little caves as spawning structures.

#4 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:14 AM

I helped someone clean out a little backyard goldfish pond (maybe 8' x 20' x 3') a couple years ago that was absolutely packed with fathead minnows all derived from some leftover fishing bait. The pond was lined with flat rocks all loosely stacked on top of each other -- plenty of overhangs perfect for fatheads to lay their eggs under.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users