Need some input

16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:53 PM

After much debate I decided to go with a second tank for my sucker when my tax check comes in. I am thinking maybe a 40 long will work with a HOB filter. It demolished plants so may just go with gravel bottom or the other option is el natural with soil and some ludwiga along the back. The input I am seeking is would a large sucker stir up too much mud if I went el natural. I really liked the days my 75 gallon was el natural. It was on auto pilot for 2 months when I had to abandon it and everything survived with no human intervention at all.

The sucker now is pretty docile. The plant demolishing is due to lack of space for it to roam. I don't have experience with suckers other than this one. Could I expect it to stir up the substrate as he gets bigger or do they remain docile?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Also, has nothing to do with the question but figured I would mention it. I will probably put some Mountain Red Belly Dace with it. I guess it could relate to the question because it just made me think of a second question. Would the dace be happy in an aquarium with out a lot of water movement?

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:15 AM

Don't suckers dig around a lot? If so, I would avoid soil. Besides, if you are looking to increase his roaming area you will have fewer plants. I suppose if you really wanted soil for a few plants you could put them in pots under the gravel.

I think Todd (Farmertodd) has had a lot of success with suckers and will hopefully chime in. I seem to remember him saying the were happiest with a deep sand substrate to root around in. Could be remembering this wrong, though.

#3 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 10:01 AM

I'm pretty sure there is a fair amount of detail about Todd's setup lurking around somewhere here. I'm almost certain you are correct that he was using deep sand. I think part of the motivation there was to be able to place feed for the suckers actually down in the substrate so that they wouldn't get out-competed by tank mates that were more aggressive feeders. I would definitely avoid the Walstad setup for a fish that really likes to root around. Even if it only happens occasionally, kicking up dirt in the tank would be a bummer.

Lozgod, you might get a better response with a more descriptive topic title. I think everyone hates those forums where half of the posts are simply titled "Help!!!!!!!" with no indication of what the poster is looking for help with. Also, better titles mean your thread is of more value to people who come looking for info later.

#4 Guest_Burbot_*

Guest_Burbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:42 PM

glad to hear your keeping him!

I know suckers like to pick around gravel and stuff, but I dont think that they "dig" as much as carp do. At least not in my mild experience. All my little suckers got eaten by my burbot...if I knew they could be as cool as yours maybe I would have spared one or two.

#5 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:21 PM

Please keep us posted on how he does, I have a white sucker, too. Mine is only 6 or 7 inches long now, but it's growing steadily.

#6 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 04:34 PM

After much debate I decided to go with a second tank for my sucker when my tax check comes in. I am thinking maybe a 40 long will work with a HOB filter. It demolished plants so may just go with gravel bottom or the other option is el natural with soil and some ludwiga along the back. The input I am seeking is would a large sucker stir up too much mud if I went el natural. I really liked the days my 75 gallon was el natural. It was on auto pilot for 2 months when I had to abandon it and everything survived with no human intervention at all.

The sucker now is pretty docile. The plant demolishing is due to lack of space for it to roam. I don't have experience with suckers other than this one. Could I expect it to stir up the substrate as he gets bigger or do they remain docile?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Also, has nothing to do with the question but figured I would mention it. I will probably put some Mountain Red Belly Dace with it. I guess it could relate to the question because it just made me think of a second question. Would the dace be happy in an aquarium with out a lot of water movement?

Actually I think the sucker would prefer some water movement so the dace should be fine with the sucker. Don't need super current but a moderate flow would be fine for both. I'd go with the deep sand bed no soil.

#7 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 06:24 PM

Didn't even consider sandbed. I think that sounds like a winner. If I do go that route then I think I will go with a heavy current. I set my 75 gallon up with a somewhat heavy current. I took a powerhead and attached a 4 foot hose leftover from my Fluval and attached a sponge filter at the end. On the same side of the tank is the intake to my canister and on the other end of the tank is a spraybar for the output of the canister.

OK I started writing this post at work. Left work and didn't hit add reply. Went to the LFS for blackworms and came back with a 20L, stand, light, etc. So I guess the decision is made. I picked up some black gravel for the moment. May switch over to playsand down the road but I was eager to set the tank up once I started shopping.

Sucker has a home.

#8 Guest_Burbot_*

Guest_Burbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

20 Litre? or 20Long? How big is the sucker?

I can't wait to see some pictures of him in his new home.

#9 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

20 Litre? or 20Long? How big is the sucker?

I can't wait to see some pictures of him in his new home.

20 Gallon long. Couldn't resist at $23. Of course after stand, hood, etc. it came to $250. Talk about bait and switch. lol. This tank should serve for the next year or two for it. He is about 7 inches now. Potential to reach anywhere between 12-20 inches. I had a HOB on the 75 gallon I transfered over to the 20 gallon. I used 10 gallons of fresh dechlorinated water and 10 gallons of water from the 75 gallon. All should be good cycle wise. I waited until the temps were close enough in both tanks then put it in there. I put a decoration in the that it can hide in but it doesn't seem stressed.

What started out as a chance to recapture some of my child hood and set up a "crick" tank is now two aquariums. I think I am on my way to all out fish nerd. lol. Knowing this tank is temporary 1 became 2 and 3 is down the road. Gonna need a bigger place. :)

Pics forthcoming. Letting it get comfortable first.

#10 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2010 - 06:28 PM

Did well last night. Looked good when I got home from work. Then the last 20 minutes it seemed to be struggling to breath. Took him out of the 20 gallon and now he is breathing but just floating around the tank. I am hope it recovers from whatever happened. I am wondering if there was a worm die off overnight tht polluted the water. It was cloudy. He is showing signs of recovering though. He is swimming and resting now in the 75 gallon but can't seem to get a sense of balance. Well guess my Saturday night plans are cancelled.

#11 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

RIP Sucker. That was weird to say the least. I came home. He was happily swimming around in his tank. Then he went vertical and started gasping for air. Then put him in the 75 gallon and now he is gone. Wish I knew how to autopsy fish. Feel guilty like I did something wrong to cause it by getting it it's own tank. That fish survived so much stuff to just die like that.

#12 Guest_lozgod_*

Guest_lozgod_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:33 PM

ph, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates were all perfect. Water was half established and half dechlorinated tap. Filter was established but there was a blackworm die off for sure. Do not know if what killed the worms killed the sucker or if the worm die off killed the fish.

#13 Guest_Burbot_*

Guest_Burbot_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:53 PM

oh man I am sorry to hear that. I know the feeling after a fish dies. I get nervous evertytime I change the water. I wonder what could've happened

#14 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:51 AM

Filter was established but there was a blackworm die off for sure. Do not know if what killed the worms killed the sucker or if the worm die off killed the fish.

When I was keeping a bunch of blackworms in a tank I had major die-offs of the worms after changing water twice. No idea what happened. Dead blackworms foul the water extremely quickly.

Bummer about the sucker.

#15 Guest_wargreen_*

Guest_wargreen_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

Lozgod sorry to hear about your sucker :sad: ....I wonder why it didnt recover in the 75gallon?

#16 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:16 PM

ph, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates were all perfect. Water was half established and half dechlorinated tap. Filter was established but there was a blackworm die off for sure. Do not know if what killed the worms killed the sucker or if the worm die off killed the fish.

I've heard that blackworms are sensitive to tapwater, need aged water so perhaps that was the problem.

#17 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:20 PM

I've heard that blackworms are sensitive to tapwater, need aged water so perhaps that was the problem.

Sometimes fish just up and die. Maybe he was old, maybe there was an O2 problem from which he couldn't recover; moving him may have added to the stress. If your other fish in that tank are fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users