New Tank - Warmouth feeding

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TFD_*

Guest_TFD_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 04:07 AM

I am about ready to move my warmouths into thier new tank. I have four, two are about 2 inches and two are about 3 inches. I went to the LFS to get some chihlid pelets. The the two larger fish eat them eagerly. The two smaller ones arn't interested. They will take them occasionally but just spit them back out. It has been about two days since I switched from FD blood worms to the pellets. I have been hoping the smaller ones will start eating pellets once they get hungry enough. The new 46 gallon tank is ready so I am thinking of moving the two larger fish to it and either releasing the two smaller ones to the creek near my house where I collected them or feeding them fd bloodworms until they get a little larger then trying the pellets again. Also, While at the LFS I noticed they had some Texas Chihlids (Cichlasoma cyanoguttatum) which are about the same size as my warmouths.

1) suggestions on best way to move warmouths without stressing them too much.

2) opinions on releasing warmouth after having them in aquarium for about a month - any harm in doing this?

3) Opinions on how 2 Texas Chihlids would do sharing a 46 gal with 2 or more warmouths.

Thanks

Don

#2 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 07:41 AM

You can't stress a nail. Warmouths are tough don't worry.

Everyone here will tell you not to release him back. I say if warmouths were the only fish in the tank ever in that water in the tank throw him back. But fish can pick up stuff in captivity that they would not in the wild. So I guess that is your problem now. :???: I think the Texans would do fine as long as the sizes matched somewhat with the warmouths. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

#3 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 09:51 AM

please do not put it back, if we do not regulate ourselves in this reguard eventually legislation will be passed, you could release a disease, fungus, parasite, virus, into a natural watershed, and damage a natural fish population, if you do not want it post in the trade section on this and other sights someone may be wanting one.

#4 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 10:10 AM

The new 46 gallon tank is ready so I am thinking of moving the two larger fish to it and either releasing the two smaller ones to the creek near my house where I collected them or feeding them fd bloodworms until they get a little larger then trying the pellets again.

Please keep the two smaller fish. I'm sure they'll grow quickly and take pellets in short order. Please also take the time read this topic and the NANFA code of ethics..

releasing fish into the wild

NANFA code of ethics

Not sure I'd put a pair of Texas cichlids in with a pair of Warmouth since the Warmouth tend to be pretty docile and Texas cichlids tend to be the opposite.

Since we have many new forum members, I think it's time I make general statement to the new guys that haven't had the time to join NANFA. When you join the NANFA organization most are compelled to read the code of ethics. If you haven't joined NANFA yet at the very least please take the time to browse here: NANFA

I think you'll find this site informative and will also give you an understanding of where the forum members come from on conservation, ethics diversity and many other issues.

#5 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 01:39 PM

Check out this link : Habitattitude

#6 Guest_TFD_*

Guest_TFD_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 January 2007 - 02:50 PM

Opinions on not releasing are well taken, I will keep them for now - maybe offer them for trade later - however warmouths apear pretty abundant. I was only considering it because they are the only fish that have ever been in that tank and would be realsed to the same spot i took them from. But after reading the other thread I can see why even that could be a bad idea.

#7 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:32 AM

I hate to admit it but yes it is a bad Idea. and if someone does not want them find someone with a large bowfin LOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users