why is the locations of SRBD considered taboo to give out?

47 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:47 AM

totally understandable for species limited in range in ones area. i was speaking of common fish common in every area of a state.

#22 Guest_Mysteryman_*

Guest_Mysteryman_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:38 PM

We even have Goldens down here in South Alabama. Pretty common. I know a place near Ozark. It is a big drainage ditch pool, nothing more, nothing less, and it's only about the size of my living room. However, it usually holds over TEN nice species of fish at any given time! A few throws of a cast net can fill a large aquarium with a wide variety of shapes and colors. Goldens are in it, and they're probably the least interesting fish in the population, but some considerably rarer species like Orangetails are here as well, so telling someone about this site for Goldens could put the Orangetails at risk.
I would gladly tell almost any well-established NANFA member where to find this place, but I sure wouldn't blab about it over the open forums because an unscrupulous bozo just might wipe the place out in a few minutes with a big seine. That sort of thing has been known to happen, ya know, so even though the odds of it are only very slight, I would still hate to be the one who caused such an event with loose lips. The NANFA members using this site are outnumbered some 4-to-1 by non-members, and while members ostensibly share and follow the ethics of NANFA, those nonmembers are a big unknown.

#23 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

We even have Goldens down here in South Alabama. Pretty common. I know a place near Ozark. It is a big drainage ditch pool, nothing more, nothing less, and it's only about the size of my living room. However, it usually holds over TEN nice species of fish at any given time! A few throws of a cast net can fill a large aquarium with a wide variety of shapes and colors. Goldens are in it, and they're probably the least interesting fish in the population, but some considerably rarer species like Orangetails are here as well, so telling someone about this site for Goldens could put the Orangetails at risk.
I would gladly tell almost any well-established NANFA member where to find this place, but I sure wouldn't blab about it over the open forums because an unscrupulous bozo just might wipe the place out in a few minutes with a big seine. That sort of thing has been known to happen, ya know, so even though the odds of it are only very slight, I would still hate to be the one who caused such an event with loose lips. The NANFA members using this site are outnumbered some 4-to-1 by non-members, and while members ostensibly share and follow the ethics of NANFA, those nonmembers are a big unknown.

I totally agree with this. Some of you southern members are very lucky with the amount of species available. Up in mass not so much the case. I can't wait to get south with some of you guys and see all the other fish this awesome country has to offer.

#24 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 10:27 PM

id like to think of myself as a naturalist as i dont kill animals at all. i dont agree with hunting either

Interesting... I'm a professional Naturalist and most of my life I've been killing things either through Hunting, trapping or fishing.. I actually enjoy going out and killing things that are out there to eat or in the case of a few species just for the fun of it and the desire to do so. It gets me outdoors and gets me in touch with my place in nature and within the complex ecosystems around me. The one person to influence me the most and maybe a great amount of what todays environmental and conservation movement is... Aldo Leopold... He Also really liked to kill things... In fact it was his liking of killing things that may have just made him more in tune with what management needs where really needed where and how.

I was not aware that A "Naturalist" does not kill animals, nor hunts them nor does any harm to them. I do know many Hippy flakes (Not naturalists IMO) that claim to be for wildlife and for the environment that use this same lame wording though of "I'm a naturalist and I'm against hunting or fishing". I have to ask.. How can you be in touch with nature if you yourself deny your own nature and your own heritage? I say you can not...

Sorry off topic but that particular line just really irritated me and I had to address it.

#25 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:29 AM

Interesting... I'm a professional Naturalist and most of my life I've been killing things either through Hunting, trapping or fishing.. I actually enjoy going out and killing things that are out there to eat or in the case of a few species just for the fun of it and the desire to do so. It gets me outdoors and gets me in touch with my place in nature and within the complex ecosystems around me. The one person to influence me the most and maybe a great amount of what todays environmental and conservation movement is... Aldo Leopold... He Also really liked to kill things... In fact it was his liking of killing things that may have just made him more in tune with what management needs where really needed where and how.

I was not aware that A "Naturalist" does not kill animals, nor hunts them nor does any harm to them. I do know many Hippy flakes (Not naturalists IMO) that claim to be for wildlife and for the environment that use this same lame wording though of "I'm a naturalist and I'm against hunting or fishing". I have to ask.. How can you be in touch with nature if you yourself deny your own nature and your own heritage? I say you can not...

Sorry off topic but that particular line just really irritated me and I had to address it.

Brooklamprey, i would say you are right on topic.if one samples an area then keeps the fish a death clock is started for said fish period
if one does not believe in killing fish then do not use a bathroom ever again. a simple test is run a net bellow a WWTP to sample local fish
then move up stream 1/2 mile and sample again it will blow your mind.
as for golden shiners i see no harm showing some one were they are with people fishing and using bait this fish will never be in short supply. but other more sensitive fish and there exact spot on a non filtered forum is another story for sure.this was my main goal of this thread.

Edited by CATfishTONY, 16 June 2010 - 05:38 AM.

#26 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:18 PM

I know the State of Wisconsin DNR post where they find EVERY species of fish they find while sampling and the general numbers to the public through a website. You can go to this website, pick a species and find where they have sampled this fish and the general numbers that were collected at that location. I find this map extremely helpful when i go out looking for particular fish.

Nate,

All fish are not listed on that web map. Threatened and Endangered species are not included on the map to protect their locations.

Brian

#27 Guest_creekcrawler_*

Guest_creekcrawler_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

Why heck, you can get all the SRBD you want at {SMACK} <POW> <OOMPH> . . . . ..

#28 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:58 PM

This all kind of started with bluenose shiner spots, and with good reason. Now it is accepted (!) practice on this forum. Having said that, it is true that there are some people who just do NOT want to share their honey holes with anybody. I knew an aquarist who did not believe in sharing the experience he had accumulated over the years. He said "It took me xx years to get to where I am, and they expect me to just GIVE away that information?!"

Not many on this forum share his mindset, but there ARE good reasons for not posting certain collecting sites where the whole world can see. Enough said about that.

#29 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:20 PM

Wow Richard. I am with you. I kill animals like its my job. Well, it kind of is as a livestock producer. I feel that one way to truly know nature is to be part of the food chain, and harvest animals for meat. Being a carnivore, that simply purchases all of your meats from the grocery store, really removes you from the reality. It is easy to disagree with hunting, but to buy beef from a feedlot? Heck those deer are lucky critters compared to the cattle who live their lives three feet deep in crap. My name is Matt, I am a naturalist, and I kill stuff.
I think catch and release fishing is great, but every now and then, you should eat a mess of fish to remind you what it is all about. heck, even removing fish from the wild to keep in an aquarium is akin to killing them. You have taken them from the gene pool, resigned them to a life of non productivity, as far as the "nature" part goes, they might as well be dead.
No offense Bumpylemon, just agreeing with Richard here. I respect that you personally don't agree with hunting. I come from a family of many vegetarians. They all detest hunting, and I can understand their viewpoints, but for any meateater to disagree with hunting is hard to understand. Most people who are against hunting, have not taken the time to look at where their meat comes from. Once you research factory farms, hunting can be viewed as very humane.
Sorry, I further derailed, SRBD from copious populations can make excellent tablefare, they taste alot like snail darters. Just kidding.

Edited by Skipjack, 16 June 2010 - 10:22 PM.

#30 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:39 PM

they taste alot like snail darters

They taste rather more like mummichogs. Don't ask...

#31 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:49 PM

I think catch and release fishing is great, but every now and then, you should eat a mess of fish to remind you what it is all about. heck, even removing fish from the wild to keep in an aquarium is akin to killing them. You have taken them from the gene pool, resigned them to a life of non productivity, as far as the "nature" part goes, they might as well be dead.

I think I'm one of the very few that really do utilize the subjects of my studies these days. I eat lampreys and Gars I work with and actually promote that use for them. I promote them as a viable fishery as I know that with human nature this will be the best way to protect them.

Here is actually last nights dinner...
LNG_Grill.jpg

As for the whole SRBD statement and thread Martin nailed it for me by quoting an oldtimer..."It took me xx years to get to where I am, and they expect me to just GIVE away that information?!"

For some of us we are not all that willing to just bark out where you can find this or that. Actually we find it slightly disrespectful that you expect us to do so. I did not do the work to find localities for animals to just help someone not do any work themselves.

I'm not an animal location welfare provider that will just hand out all of my knowledge about localities just cause you ask.. Prove your worth it sure you may get some. Just ask and expect handouts your in a sorry state.

#32 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 05:41 AM

maybe naturalist was the wrong word. i dont like to kill things. so whatever word that is...thats what i am lol.
i have no problem with other people hunting. i just dont like seeing blood and all that. im a weak human i guess. i swerve to miss chipmunks. its just the way i am. i would eat fish...but i just dont like the taste of it. but im a big meat eater :) i dont think ive ever seen a gar on a grill haha

Edited by bumpylemon, 17 June 2010 - 05:45 AM.

#33 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:47 AM

Witholding golden shiner records seems almost laughable, they are everywhere in the NE Atlantic.

You won't see many hardcore icefishermen laughing about somebody honing in on a reliable bait trapping pond.
The cost of bait and the ever more confusing and nonsensical regs, many many anglers are trapping their own bait. Golden shiners may be everywhere, but it takes very special conditions to reliably trap enough for bait, especially the jumbos that pike fishermen favor. Spots like that are few and shared only with close friends and family, if that.

Attempting to share secrets with anglers is never ever going to be productive. The folks on here who are not anglers have never experienced having a favorite secret spot despoiled after sharing info. Constant pressure, parking issues, trash and the inevitable No Trespassing signs.
As a life long angler, my first instinct is to automatically conceal locations out of hand.
In the beginning of the internet, I became an expert at tracking down fishing and herping spots through forum postings. I once drove 700 miles to a place I had never been and drove right up to a particular pile of billboards in a cow field.The guy who posted a pic of the spot blacked out every background in his pics after that. :twisted: I never outed his spot though. Many many fishing spots have been ruined by being outed in a forum. Lots of guys blackout backgrounds now or don't post at all. Private sharing is earned, not automatic on joining a forum.
Now I've had my own secret spots outed right here on this forum, whether with or without my own participation is unclear.

Then there are those of scientific bent who don't believe the uneducated public can be trusted with the location of any species that gets their interest, protected or not. At the same time they pressure the public to share rare species sightings while telling them they may not seek them out as that is "Taking".
The time is already here when sending certain innocent queries to F&G in certain states can you a visit from the warden.

#34 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:52 AM

You won't see many hardcore icefishermen laughing about somebody honing in on a reliable bait trapping pond.
The cost of bait and the ever more confusing and nonsensical regs, many many anglers are trapping their own bait. Golden shiners may be everywhere, but it takes very special conditions to reliably trap enough for bait, especially the jumbos that pike fishermen favor. Spots like that are few and shared only with close friends and family, if that.

Attempting to share secrets with anglers is never ever going to be productive. The folks on here who are not anglers have never experienced having a favorite secret spot despoiled after sharing info. Constant pressure, parking issues, trash and the inevitable No Trespassing signs.
As a life long angler, my first instinct is to automatically conceal locations out of hand.
In the beginning of the internet, I became an expert at tracking down fishing and herping spots through forum postings. I once drove 700 miles to a place I had never been and drove right up to a particular pile of billboards in a cow field.The guy who posted a pic of the spot blacked out every background in his pics after that. :twisted: I never outed his spot though. Many many fishing spots have been ruined by being outed in a forum. Lots of guys blackout backgrounds now or don't post at all. Private sharing is earned, not automatic on joining a forum.
Now I've had my own secret spots outed right here on this forum, whether with or without my own participation is unclear.

Then there are those of scientific bent who don't believe the uneducated public can be trusted with the location of any species that gets their interest, protected or not. At the same time they pressure the public to share rare species sightings while telling them they may not seek them out as that is "Taking".
The time is already here when sending certain innocent queries to F&G in certain states can you a visit from the warden.

That is a great post. Very accurate. Tomorrow is my last day of work for the summer. I can't wait to get out and fish. Hmmmm where to gooooo

#35 Guest_CATfishTONY_*

Guest_CATfishTONY_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:56 PM

That is a great post. Very accurate. Tomorrow is my last day of work for the summer. I can't wait to get out and fish. Hmmmm where to gooooo

http://www.tauntonriver.org/studymap_large.htm

#36 Guest_bumpylemon_*

Guest_bumpylemon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:01 PM

http://www.tauntonriver.org/studymap_large.htm

Yup I already fish there. Good Banded Sunfish down there.

#37 Guest_MINNOW_*

Guest_MINNOW_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:54 PM

well thats funny i have been mentioned a few times in this topic !!! so i guess i will be on an angler side.as far as the golden shiner goes i was asked where did you get them and at the time and still know im learning on getting them.they are in every pond like i said but locating them is a different story.so to you bumby when you asked me i was so new to it my answer seemed wide spread and sarcastic but thats all i really knew.then you did let me in on a spot that we only took 20 just so you know they were hard to get even knowing they were there.then when trying to trap i came across some mudminnows i guess and posted them on a fishing site and i had some one reply to wanting them and where did i get them. so i told them.im all about the gold and if i come across any other fish i will gladly tell some one.that being said any golden spots in mass lol. i understand both side i guess we all need to help each other out.

#38 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

Say what?

#39 Guest_MINNOW_*

Guest_MINNOW_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:05 PM

we have some farm ponds that we like to raise them in .

#40 Guest_EricaWieser_*

Guest_EricaWieser_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:35 PM

I was just scrolling through this topic and saw the image of the gar on the barbeque and it freaked me out. That is the scariest looking fish I've seen since that toadfish that one time. My poor heart...

Edited by EricaWieser, 27 July 2011 - 11:36 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users